Best layover spot on Deso? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I did an 8 day trip down there a couple years ago and we did Layovers at Above Cedar Ridge and Lion Hollow and enjoyed both spots. There is a nice canyon to hike up at Cedar Ridge and it has a bunch of Cottonwoods for shade. We had some fierce down canyon winds...but that seems to be semi-normal for April Deso trips. Only bummer is if its busy season there are 3 camps downstream of you...so less seclusion then some other options. Not bad though...especially at the Above Cedar Ridge camp that is seperated from the other camps.

Lion Hollow is just a nice camp with a big sandy area that has good wind protection up from the river that is great for camp games and hanging out. I'm sure there is hiking around too.

Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12

C. Springs, Colorado
I'd go as far as saying that any camp between Rock House and Wire fence would be a great camp to do a layover day in.

I'll second Lyons Hollow. The sandy area behind camp makes a perfect volley ball court.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13

Banff, alberta
Thanks everyone.
gazzy902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Mushroom Rock has the big petroglyph rock, and the side canyon behind it is a great off the radar hike up a narrow windy canyon that gets you to a view of an arch you can't see anywhere else just before a 5.10 boulder problem makes the side canyon difficult. I also climbed a tower up there that needs a second ascent - The Siren is 3 pitches 5.10+ C1, and there is a little bottle of whisky in the summit register.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote