Arkansas Numbers/Fractions rookie questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

santa fe, New Mexico
Paddling Since: wet
Arkansas Numbers/Fractions rookie questions

howdy all! I will be in CO this weekend and am thinking of running the numbers/fractions sections of the arkansas this sunday....I have never run any part of the arkansas. My class IV experience is limited to the Salt (4000 cfs) and the Taos Box (2000 cfs), but I have done well in those settings. I will be in my 14' oar rig, solid boat, 1 passenger. A little nervous and looking for some input from you all, thanks!

trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Flagstaff, Arizona
You should be fine. RiverMaps has an Arkansas River Guide and there are a half dozen FaceBook pages on the Ark. Many of those post group floats almost daily. Have a Blast!
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
In my opinion the numbers at 2300 is a pretty big step up from the salt at 4k in terms of the whitewater and definitely in consequence factor. Ive only run the salt once and it was 4-4.5k. Read and ran the whole thing and didn't feel like I needed to have scouted. Really felt more like fast class 3 with a spice of 4. Numbers above 2k is fast and very solid stacked class 4. I typically dont row it over 2k.

I would compare the salt more to browns canyon. I would suggest you run that first. If it is boringly easy reading and running maybe you could go run the numbers knowing that it will be a big grade more intense. If browns is challenging at all or you have bad lines you might hold off on the numbers. Problem is, the swim is very fast and cold. Chasing down your boat on a one boat trip could prove very problematic; the numbers don't let up, it is not pool drop like the rivers you mentioned.

All this said I am not trying to scare you out of the numbers if you are solid at class four I am just giving an opinion based on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
What Z said!
funrivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
And it's now at 3000 cfs and rising. Not a lot of rafts floating it at these levels. You will be high siding often and tossed around in that light rig and you will experience more stress than fun. It goes too fast for a map to be of any help, eddies are scarce. Brown's is the most fun run on the entire upper Ark right now, I'd reiterate the suggestion to go there.
DoStep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

santa fe, New Mexico
I sure appreciate the input, thank you crew! will run browns canyon and see how that goes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

santa fe, New Mexico
thanks again guys for the advice, thought I would report....
we ran browns canyon mid day on Sunday at 3900 cfs and it was sure fun and the water was beautiful and powerful, it was read and run and not technically difficult, that is until after Hecla....I hadn't scouted anything and so didn't even consider stopping to scout Seidel's, couldn't see it all from above but a ledge hole to the right and a lateral on the left so it seemed a center run was the way to go, and it was a fun drop - right into a big exploding reversal wave we had no chance, flipped instantly in front of 30 people or so who were scouting. Thanks for Colorado State Parks having two very nice and helpful rangers there in kayaks. After we got the boat to the shore and upright we walked back up to take a look at the hole and saw two other rafts flip, some very nearly flip, and then the most veteran river guide on the ark (Dan was his name I think, 71 years old, 40+ years on the river) run a beautiful clean line just right of center....nice....I learned something for sure! At the takeout he and the other guides were laughing at us and saying thanks for the "spectacular" flip as they had all been scouting and watching us and it made the paddlers listen well and paddle harder when it was their turn
on a side note it really really sucks trying to fit an oar rig under the stone bridge at that water level, we scraped the concrete and said hi to many spiders in maybe the scariest part of the float....yikes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Thanks for the update. I am glad you had a fun run. Browns is a blast at these levels. Flipping in Seidels is sort of a right of passage that most who run it frequently have taken and should make you happy that you didn't run the numbers. The swim/recovery out of Seidels is a cakewalk compared to any swim on the numbers. Good work heeding the advice.

Tags
ark, arkansas