7/2 Main MF Salmon: photos of Cramer's 11am - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2018
7/2 Main MF Salmon: photos of Cramer's 11am

Hey all,

Got some shots of a group running Cramer's while I was scouting it on 7/2 around 11am. Would love to share with the subjects. 6 boats, 3 per boat...

zaczac4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I didn’t get down there till the 8th, but man, it was a fun level, i’d Say GC 5 probably, bigger then it is at 3.5’, don’t end up in that left hole!!
Old 1 Day Ago   #3

Sturgis, South Dakota
Paddling Since: 2003
Might be us...

I think we were running about that time. Orange Aire, Green Aire and a couple of paddle rafts?

Eric
johnseri is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Day Ago   #4
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Who runs Cramer at 11 am? That is some crazy early launching. No one I know.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Hours Ago   #5

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Who runs Cramer at 11 am? That is some crazy early launching. No one I know.
Doesn't pretty much everyone hit it pretty early trying to get off the MFS and get home? I sense the sarcasm is strong with this one...

I shot a couple of pictures of Cramer (sans boats) from June 29 as we were driving out. The past couple of trips I had done around 4' in 2013 and 2018 it was pretty much washed out. This year the water dropped from 3.4 to around 3 when we got to the bottom and the hole in Cramer looked pretty much like it did back in the mid 2000s, only with a right side sneak that didn't exist back then when the washout was fresh.

The first two pics are from 2005 at 2.5 when it almost ate our friends in the red boat; the third one is from this year for comparison. It was epic when you had to shoot the hole!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12070003.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	634.3 KB
ID:	37583   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7080213.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	922.0 KB
ID:	37587  

Name:	185.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	37589  
Old 18 Hours Ago   #6
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Duck View Post
Doesn't pretty much everyone hit it pretty early trying to get off the MFS and get home? I sense the sarcasm is strong with this one...
Not sure if you are trying to reverse sarcasm me or what.
anyway. For real I have never, ever made it to the take out before late afternoon on a private trip. And have floated in pretty close to dark. Hence the midnight drives to get home. One of my favorites was floating solo from Cliffside Camp after the rest of the group decided one more day. I got to the ramp in the dark. It was awesome.

I always go slower the closer I get to the takeout. Seeing the road always makes me a bit sad so I will lay up at Goat Creek for an extra long lunch at 4 pm or so. Do people really rush to get off the river that last day?
Old 17 Hours Ago   #7
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
Not so much about a rush to get off the river as it is about how many extra nights to get home. We were at the take-out at Carey Creek well before noon on June 20, and the ramp was pretty crowded. We had a full eight days including a layover. Another few days would have been nice, but... the boss expected me back at work. Drove out to a dispersion camp not far from Kikham Hot Springs, ate some supper, and got up early the next day to make the drive back to western Oregon in the daylight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	takeout.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	616.1 KB
ID:	37609  
Old 17 Hours Ago   #8

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Not sure if you are trying to reverse sarcasm me or what.
anyway. For real I have never, ever made it to the take out before late afternoon on a private trip. And have floated in pretty close to dark. Hence the midnight drives to get home. One of my favorites was floating solo from Cliffside Camp after the rest of the group decided one more day. I got to the ramp in the dark. It was awesome.

I always go slower the closer I get to the takeout. Seeing the road always makes me a bit sad so I will lay up at Goat Creek for an extra long lunch at 4 pm or so. Do people really rush to get off the river that last day?
Gerry me brudda! I’m with you. Seeing the confluence is alway bittersweet—bitter coming out of Impassable Canyon, sweet when looking up toward Goat Creek on the way to Corn Creek.
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Hours Ago   #9

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Amette View Post
Not so much about a rush to get off the river as it is about how many extra nights to get home. We were at the take-out at Carey Creek well before noon on June 20, and the ramp was pretty crowded. We had a full eight days including a layover. Another few days would have been nice, but... the boss expected me back at work. Drove out to a dispersion camp not far from Kikham Hot Springs, ate some supper, and got up early the next day to make the drive back to western Oregon in the daylight.
No sarcasm Carvedog, just this.

I think you’ve got the right approach going slow that last day to avoid the total CF at Cache Bar. We hit peak shitshow time around 11AM in 2018. This year we changed up our strategy, staying clear up at Elk Bar and lollygagging our way down the river, including side hikes and a leisurely lunch, and getting to Cache Bar around 3:30, right as the last of the earlier groups were driving off the ramp. We had planned ahead enough to stay within a reasonable distance that first night off the river, so it worked for us. I’ll do it that way again if I get the opportunity.

I hate that moment where you float into the main river and all that crystal clear water gets consumed by the murk of the main river. At least Cramer at lower flows offers one last consolation prize.
Old 5 Hours Ago   #10
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Duck View Post
No sarcasm Carvedog, just this.

I think you’ve got the right approach going slow that last day to avoid the total CF at Cache Bar. We hit peak shitshow time around 11AM in 2018. This year we changed up our strategy, staying clear up at Elk Bar and lollygagging our way down the river, including side hikes and a leisurely lunch, and getting to Cache Bar around 3:30, right as the last of the earlier groups were driving off the ramp. We had planned ahead enough to stay within a reasonable distance that first night off the river, so it worked for us. I’ll do it that way again if I get the opportunity.

I hate that moment where you float into the main river and all that crystal clear water gets consumed by the murk of the main river. At least Cramer at lower flows offers one last consolation prize.
Ok, I got it now. And Will I do understand - if it means being able to make the trip or not, you do what have to.
When I used to guide commercial, we did this. Lunch at the takeout and usually a full shit show of people on top of each other. The trip being over is bad enough.

I try to remember to dip my hand in the water before the confluence and give thanks saying 'hope to see you soon, old friend.'