Zambezi Low Water Season: Late November a Safe Bet? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 08-19-2017   #1

San Luis Obispo, 93401
Zambezi Low Water Season: Late November a Safe Bet?

Hello All,

I've always wanted to raft the Zambezi. I am in the process of planning a bucket list Africa trip that also includes a Ngorongoro Crater & Serengeti safari and a trip to Cape Town. Given the cost of the ticket and travel time I want to pack it all into one trip, if possible.

From what I've read there is a limited time slot sometime between August and the holidays where you can start from Rapid 1, and sometimes the rains start earlier and you end up having to start further down river and missing the best rapids.

My question is in unusual years where the rainfall is heavier and/or starts earlier, how early can the Low Water trips be canceled? If I were to plan the trip for the last week of November, is it possible that I may get skunked?

I've sent this question to a few operators only to receive several "Yes Sir/Madam, the prince of Nigeria is working on your inquiry" sort of responses. One did reply that sometimes they cannot offer Low Water trips even through August in some years, but failed to answer my question about November

Thanks all in advance

stroganoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2017   #2

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Mid November is the perfect time for low water, and best wildlife viewing on the upper and lower river. It would be highly unusual for the river to start coming up by the end of November. The season I spent there it started raining in Mid December, but water levels really never came up until mid January.

In my opinion, 1 through 4 are just sort of warm up rapids compared to 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13 and 18, which are the big classic Zambezi drops. If you put in at #4, you still get one hell of a trip.

It's been a while since I guided there, but at the time Sobek operated on the Zambia side launching at #1, Shearwater operated on the Zim side, launching above #4. Sobek always tried to sell their "longer" trip as better, but it was mostly just based on lack of good access from the Zambia side.

From what I hear, most activity is on the Zambia side now, given the messed up political situtation in Zim.

If I were to go back there, I'd go on a canoe safari at Mana Pools in mid November. The multi-day rafting trip in the Batoka Gorge is also extremely cool, and well worth doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroganoff View Post
Hello All,

I've always wanted to raft the Zambezi. I am in the process of planning a bucket list Africa trip that also includes a Ngorongoro Crater & Serengeti safari and a trip to Cape Town. Given the cost of the ticket and travel time I want to pack it all into one trip, if possible.

From what I've read there is a limited time slot sometime between August and the holidays where you can start from Rapid 1, and sometimes the rains start earlier and you end up having to start further down river and missing the best rapids.

My question is in unusual years where the rainfall is heavier and/or starts earlier, how early can the Low Water trips be canceled? If I were to plan the trip for the last week of November, is it possible that I may get skunked?

I've sent this question to a few operators only to receive several "Yes Sir/Madam, the prince of Nigeria is working on your inquiry" sort of responses. One did reply that sometimes they cannot offer Low Water trips even through August in some years, but failed to answer my question about November

Thanks all in advance
Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017   #3

San Luis Obispo, 93401
Right on Pine! I got worried when I saw a Trip Advisor review dated December 28th (assuming it was right after, can't recall) that said that none of the operators were launching above Rapid 11 and that it was a disappointment. Got me thinking that maybe they made the switch to high water trips earlier in December. Then I finally got a well written reply from one of the operators who said they have always launched from Rapid 1 well through the holidays and got me STOKED!

Appreciate the reply- always helps to get more opinions. Thanks a bunch
stroganoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2017   #4

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
You bet.

The cut off for launching at #11 is when the water gets too high to portage rapid #9.

Here are some good shots of very "low" flows.

Big hit in #18

16' Avon Pro getting taco'd by the hole in middle of #8

Dropping into middle line of #8

About to get a fugly beat down in #11

=stroganoff;606810]Right on Pine! I got worried when I saw a Trip Advisor review dated December 28th (assuming it was right after, can't recall) that said that none of the operators were launching above Rapid 11 and that it was a disappointment. Got me thinking that maybe they made the switch to high water trips earlier in December. Then I finally got a well written reply from one of the operators who said they have always launched from Rapid 1 well through the holidays and got me STOKED!

Appreciate the reply- always helps to get more opinions. Thanks a bunch [/QUOTE]
Old 08-25-2017   #5

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
You bet.

The cut off for launching at #11 is when the water gets too high to portage rapid #9.

Here are some good shots of very "low" flows.

Big hit in #18

16' Avon Pro getting taco'd by the hole in middle of #8

Dropping into middle line of #8

About to get a fugly beat down in #11

=stroganoff;606810]Right on Pine! I got worried when I saw a Trip Advisor review dated December 28th (assuming it was right after, can't recall) that said that none of the operators were launching above Rapid 11 and that it was a disappointment. Got me thinking that maybe they made the switch to high water trips earlier in December. Then I finally got a well written reply from one of the operators who said they have always launched from Rapid 1 well through the holidays and got me STOKED!

Appreciate the reply- always helps to get more opinions. Thanks a bunch
[/QUOTE]

Not sure why they didn't show up. Here are the links to Google Photos.

https://goo.gl/photos/qugpWQM1BHG45xAY6

https://goo.gl/photos/RyziogvXjzRb5ciYA

https://goo.gl/photos/T98sraQnCDh8DngW9

https://goo.gl/photos/CgdwqEMimuXZW6zt6