You need a permit to go on a river? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-20-2014   #1

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
You need a permit to go on a river?

I apologize for my ignorance but you need a permit to raft a river in the USA? I live in BC Canada and we don't have such a regulation on our rivers. Just wondering what the rationale is for permits, draws, etc.

SpeyCatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
You need a permit to travel on certain rivers in the USA. This is to help mitigate overuse of our precious natural resources.
Ninja_Nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #3
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
We do, and it is needed here. I hate regulations, extra rules, "the man" always on our case, but if we didn't have limits on the amount of use and type of use on some of our pristine rivers, they would suck. I like to do rivers that aren't permitted and regulated as much, but we have the beautiful Rogue here in Oregon that sees plenty of use, and would get trashed if there weren't limits on people and usage.
A popular river in the summer here is the Deschutes. When I was young, it was a "girls gone wild" college party/ drink fest with drunk boaters, drunk drivers, over use, and generally I personally saw it things get out of hand. Now even day trips require permits, and they watch the river very closely. I like it better there. I'm taking my 5 year old there this summer, and I won't have to worry about him seeing something I don't want him to see. I also won't worry as much about drunks on the road along the river.
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014   #4

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Nico View Post
You need a permit to travel on certain rivers in the USA. This is to help mitigate overuse of our precious natural resources.
It might be better to simply outlaw life jackets. The drunks, the incompetents, and the ill-prepared would take care of themselves in Darwinesque style, and that would scare the teeming masses of wannabees out of ever attempting whitewater boating.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Its mostly a arid-west thing. Nonexistent on the east coast.

Imagine if there were no hunting permits. The natural resource, wild game, would degrade or disappear.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #6

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
On some rivers you just fill out a permit, no charge, at the put in.
The management agencies require these to monitor levels of use. Eventually with good data it can become obvious when numbers restrictions become necessary.

Number of campsites, abuse and river crowding do need to be dealt with.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #7

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
If you were to out law all the drunks from the river, who would carry all the kayakers' stuff?
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #8
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeyFitter View Post
I apologize for my ignorance but you need a permit to raft a river in the USA? I live in BC Canada and we don't have such a regulation on our rivers. Just wondering what the rationale is for permits, draws, etc.
The 'rationale' is that if we didn't all of our best rivers would be overrun by Canadians the way our Women's hockey team got taken out……

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #9

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
The 'rationale' is that if we didn't all of our best rivers would be overrun by Canadians the way our Women's hockey team got taken out……

Let's hope today's outcome is different!
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #10
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
Let's hope today's outcome is different!
aye…..still stings that bounce off the dammed post. Shoulda, woulda, coulda… but no.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote