Old 02-25-2019   #1

SLC, Utah
Yet another trailer thread...sorry

Click image for larger version

Name:	raft trailer pic.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	33203

Sorry to do another trailer thread, but I would like some advice from all you pros.
I believe that I have decided on a trailer, however I have one more detail I need some opinions on.
Clay at Quadrax in Ogden, UT made this awesome trailer & I think I'm gonna get one like it. But instead of ME building a wooden platform like the one in this pic, I was thinking of having Clay build one out of the metal mesh like what's on the sides. I was thinking of 2 halves, front & back that would lift up from the side similar to the wooden one in this pic.

So what are your thoughts on this idea?
Would metal on rubber (hypalon) not play well together?
Too hot?
Too heavy?
Too noisy?
Any other considerations?

Any and all feedback appreciated. Thanks guys..

blueotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2019   #2

Flattened expanded metal should be fine, such as 3/4 #9, as long as any sharp edges are taken care of and it's welded around the perimeter. If not, the edges are sharp.
BGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019   #3

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2011
I have a trailer with an expanded metal top. You'll want to to learn from a few of my mistakes.

Have the deck built and put the expanded metal on the bottom side, keeps thieves out and you boat just sits on the pieces of steel that run across. Its really hard to keep all those small welds on the expanded rust free as well.

Its heavy, I dont know how that model opens up or how your current system works but just keep in mind that the weight does add up.

I am actually currently moving and using my trailer for that, if you want I could snap a few pics of the expanded deck. All in all that style trailer is the best thing ive done in a long time. Love it on many levels, surely makes the big trips much easier.

Let me know if you want a few pics

Good luck
Ruger9009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2019   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
It's starting to be kind of similar to the Sawtooth trailer design once you change that top to metal. I like the sawtooth design how it opens in the middle and the top panels can lock up. Makes it easy to use as a utility trailer for moving large things around. I don't find the metal top to be too hot, heavy or noisy. I like it a lot.

bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019   #5

SLC, Utah
yes, Ruger. I would love to see pics when you have time.

My friend has one of those sawtooths (teeth?) and his deck, when standing up, would occasionally fall with a huge crash making everyone glad they weren't anywhere near it.
blueotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueotter View Post

My friend has one of those sawtooths (teeth?) and his deck, when standing up, would occasionally fall with a huge crash making everyone glad they weren't anywhere near it.
It sounds like it wasn't locked in the up position. There's a handle on each side that locks it in the up position. If you do that, it won't fall. If you don't, yeah could be an issue. I've had mine for three years and it's never been an issue.
Old 02-25-2019   #7

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2011
I based mine off a saw tooth but personally saw a few things that made improvements.
One of those being the changing of the latches that hold the decks up.
I put my expanded metal on the top of the trailer so that i could sleep up there, dont think it was worth it.

Ill try an get you a few pictures tonight.
Ruger9009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpnick View Post
It sounds like it wasn't locked in the up position. There's a handle on each side that locks it in the up position. If you do that, it won't fall. If you don't, yeah could be an issue. I've had mine for three years and it's never been an issue.

I've had a Sawtooth trailer like in the above photo for 6 years now. The decks will fall over from time to time. There is a lever that locks it in place and sometimes can fail. I mostly just to be safe tied it open with a quick 3ft strap on each side when working to rig or de-rig. I do this now everytime after taking one to the head pretty hard once during a windy Yampa rig. I love my Sawtooth and it's been really great over the years. I did add some grip tape to the door that drops down. It gives some nice traction when walking up and down the door loading and unloading gear. A great addition that can be found on Amazon.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Ouch. Mine is only 3 years old so maybe I just haven't had the pleasure of taking one to the head yet. I added grip tape on my tailgate as well. Very nice to have.
Old 02-25-2019   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueotter View Post
Attachment 33203

Sorry to do another trailer thread, but I would like some advice from all you pros.
I believe that I have decided on a trailer, however I have one more detail I need some opinions on.
Clay at Quadrax in Ogden, UT made this awesome trailer & I think I'm gonna get one like it. But instead of ME building a wooden platform like the one in this pic, I was thinking of having Clay build one out of the metal mesh like what's on the sides. I was thinking of 2 halves, front & back that would lift up from the side similar to the wooden one in this pic.

So what are your thoughts on this idea?
Would metal on rubber (hypalon) not play well together?
Too hot?
Too heavy?
Too noisy?
Any other considerations?

Any and all feedback appreciated. Thanks guys..

You may also consider installing rollers across the side rails. It does not have a security of a deck but if someone wants what’s in your trailer they are going to get it regardless.

https://www.whitewaterworthy.com/pro...2-rmr-package/
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote