Yet another frame question - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-23-2013   #1

San Francisco, California
Yet another frame question

I am about the order a double-rail diamond plate 4 bay frame. For someone who's 5'8", what size cockpit bay would you recommend? My initial plan was to put 23", but if I can bring it down to 20" and gain 3" in the front bay, more cargo space. But, will 20" wide enough? If I put 2 20mm rocket boxes, will they fit?

And for the rowing seat, is captain's mesh chair worth it? I am afraid it might put me too high up. I've seen people use a stadium seat like this. Will this be durable enough? Seems like a very good solution.

verendus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
In my experience, the higher your seat, the less leg room you'll need. So you might be able to steal a few inches that way. However, the tradeoff is being up higher, and maybe needing longer oars, taller oar towers, or maybe both. I know this because I've been there, done that. I'm 5'6" and if I'm rowing from my dry box I have my rower bay set at 19-20 inches, when I row from my AAA flip seat over the dry box (not as tall as a DRE mesh seat) I have the rower bay at 19 inches with the foot bar angled towards me. Hope this helps a little.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #3

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
In my experience, the higher your seat, the less leg room you'll need. So you might be able to steal a few inches that way. However, the tradeoff is being up higher, and maybe needing longer oars, taller oar towers, or maybe both. I know this because I've been there, done that. I'm 5'6" and if I'm rowing from my dry box I have my rower bay set at 19-20 inches, when I row from my AAA flip seat over the dry box (not as tall as a DRE mesh seat) I have the rower bay at 19 inches with the foot bar angled towards me. Hope this helps a little.
My legs are long and i have a cat. I use the nrs yoke as a footbar, and just spread my feet apart wider when i want to stretch my legs out, without adding 4" more to the foot bay. Probably doesnt help you much unless you run a custom footbar.

Btw tried rowing with gear in my rowing cage and ditched the ammo cans for a drybag with rope and a zippered soft compartment. I dont need to feel cramped or have sharp objects to lacerate my legs.

Nrs can probably make you a custom deluxe footbar if you are running a wide raft and want to spread out your legs more.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
I have a 10' oar, and am thinking of the AAA flip seat over drybox like your set up. If I can gain about 3" by going with 20" foot bay, that will give me close to 20" front cargo bay or open bow for more passenger room. Will 20mm rocket box fit in 20" space?
Old 03-25-2013   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
Nrs can probably make you a custom deluxe footbar if you are running a wide raft and want to spread out your legs more.
I am going with AAA expedition frame, so will already have a foot bar built in. Soft drybag in duffle style sounds like a good idea. I am also thinking of small 30qt engel day cooler.
Old 03-25-2013   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by verendus View Post
I have a 10' oar, and am thinking of the AAA flip seat over drybox like your set up. If I can gain about 3" by going with 20" foot bay, that will give me close to 20" front cargo bay or open bow for more passenger room. Will 20mm rocket box fit in 20" space?
When I used an NRS seat bar and sat lower, I needed more leg room. I can definitely get away with less leg room rowing from a dry box or flip seat. I like the AAA flip seat. I use it backwards (naughty I know), so that it flips backwards instead of forwards. It makes it easier to get into the dry box. I use a cam strap to the cross bar in front of the seat/dry box, and have never had a problem with the seat moving, even when I'm jamming on it in a rapid. 10 ft. Oars should be good, and if your frame is from AAA you should have tall enough oar towers.
Like slamcal, I don't like hard stuff in my rower space. I keep a small Watershed bag strapped in by my feet on one side, and my z-drag/pin kit in a soft bag on the other side.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #7

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by verendus View Post
a 20mm box is 19" long, if you are talking 20" inside space, yes. If you are talking 20" center to center, no. If you are planning on doing something wierd like pulling the handles out to the sides and strapping them to the frame, probably no. the handles will likely interfere with the bay behind or in front of the box.

Also 20" is a lot of space for passenger feet. I run 16.5" just because I can fit a cooler in there for flatwater beer cruises. I think I could get away with 12" if there is enough space on the drybox behind it for the passenger to sit further back.

I've seen a lot of setups where they use a drop bag, piece of ethafoam at the bottom of the bag, run a bunch of ammo cans, and then put a table across the top that the passengers sit on.

If you ask me, more than one ammo can is a lot of weight to place on a boat vs the amount of storage space you get from it ... they do make smaller plastic ones but these won't fit an ecosafe toilet.

passengers usually don't care for the groover box next to them. they seal fine but just the concept. also the sharp edges must be removed if its going to be in proximity to a leg.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote