Yampa: Juniper Canyon
Looking at doing a trip this next week on the Yampa through Little Yampa and maybe Juniper Canyons.
The little Beta I have found (and Google Maps) suggests that there is a diversion dam that creates a rapids a bit downstream from the Juniper access.
Can somebody who has been through there tell me if that rapid can be carried or lined from either side? I will be in a canoe that is not a specialized whitewater canoe. The Colorado DPW site describes it as a class III/IV. IS that accurate at this low level?
People have recommended the Little Yampa Canyon previously;
- is the Juniper Canyon section just as nice?
- If I only have 2 days on the river, should I do one instead of the other?
- Is it worth trying to take the time to go further and go as far as the Cross Mountain Put in?
- Are rafts okay at low levels?
- Anyone have an opinion whether I should paddle a canoe, sea kayak, or row a raft?