Mountain Buzz banner

Yampa High Water Raft Flip

10K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  dport 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Just got the GoPro for this season. It's HD so yea the quality is good.
I did run out of space but the best footage would have been the 3-4 attempts trying to flip it back over in the rapids. Our first time boater fell in as one of our attempts failed and she did fine not panicking and got back on to help get it over. The second flip we ended up floating into the takeout upside down.

#10 ·
We flipped right before a long series of waves and tried towing it to shore but the current and rapids were too much(two rafts towing). So we finally made the decision to just flip then. I took two tries with two of us then piled 4 on it and finally got it over after about a mile and a half

#21 ·
Thanks Matt, that's what I was going to say. And yes there was some "flat water" but we were in the beginning of a stretch of rapids and you'll notice we were headed for a hole which luckily we just caught the corner. I'm not a guide and have never been on one of those trips before so I don't know what "commercial" people do. Just learning from experience. Took an even bigger swim and flip in Cataract @ 60K. Made it through the Grand without flipping. And we tried flipping it with just two and couldn't get it over. Yes this was a gear boat not an empty tourist boat.

#24 ·
Well didn't mean to be harsh but I believe you have no business running rivers at 20-30-40k without the necessary experience to know what to do when shit hits the fan, that's how people die. Granted everyone doesn't need guide training but one should have understanding and practice of what to do in such situations. Who cares about the sunglasses when you should be worried around righting the raft and collecting your people. Ever heard of a flipline? Or better yet a double pronged one( in the shape of a "y") that allows one person to flip over a heavily loaded boat on ones own? I understand that coming into a hole with the boat flipped is not fun but if you had the necessary experience you probably could have had the boat flipped back over by the time you were upon it. Also, at that high of water, wouldn't it be prudent to have taught everyone in your group how to flip a raft back over or to at least assist with it? At those levels you need to be confident in your ability to right the boat on your own or else you are putting more than just your life in danger, your putting everyone who was "towing" your boat to shore into danger as well. If you don't mind me asking how were you attempting to flip it with two people, or four for that matter?

@Matt Cook- Yes, I am being critical. Anyone guiding a boat down rivers at 20k should have some sort of training, be it from friends or a professional course. They also should have practiced said techniques and be proficient in using and implementing them. Also "trying to" tow it to shore doesn't cut it when your in continuous whitewater, flipping the boat back does. And third, yes you can if you know what you are doing and are implementing you plan correctly. It might be tough with one, but with two it should be no issue at all.

If your running rivers at 20k + with no experience or idea what to do in flip, wrap, dumptruck, rescue, etc. circumstances, it looks like the theory of evolution is hard at work. Just my 2 cents.

#28 ·
I think flipping gear boats back over is a bit tougher than Powrider thinks. I've done it many times, mine and others. It's hard to flip a gear boat in mid current- for sure. The most important thing is for you to get on top of the upside down boat - not just clinging to the side. Cold water saps you fast, and you are more heads up once on top, and from there you can deal. (I have tought guide school many years back) You can ride along relatively safely and an upside down raft is even more stable than a right side up one! LOL. But, again, great save on the shades. Looks like a super fun level. I'm jelous. Great vid. Thanks.

#29 ·
Hey Pow. You're correct in every sense of the word. I agree with what you're saying. Preparedness is the name of the game. The sunglasses save was just a joke. Did you see the 15-20 swales we were in. I was assessing the situation trying to find what was coming up next. My concern was more for my rider. Our flip lines were not attached at the time(my mistake) but yes we did use them to right it. And two of us made two attempts and then had to get 2 more to help. We probably could have gotten it with the two of us but it was a heavy boat.
As far as my right to be out there and preparedness I've been riding the rivers since before your mom met your dad. I've had emergency preparedness training through firefighter school, Eagle Scout, Scoutmaster and did you not hear Cat @ 60,000 (4 cat trips) the Grand, Salmon, Snake, Deso, San Juan, Rio Grande, Gates of Ladore, 50 Westies and only 4 career flips. 2 of them here. I swam laps at the pool for weeks and got up to a mile swim to prepare for the trip.
Our trip leader had his safety talk before we left as we always do.
Yes I should have been up on the boat sooner but you shouldn't talk to your elders that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.