Yampa - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-16-2013   #1

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Yampa

So who has good info about the changes in Warm Springs Rapid? Looking to hear both about high and low water.

DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
It's pretty straight forward III+/IV- rapid at about 6k when we ran it this past May but I am sure it will change. Do people not know how to scout anymore or what?
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #3

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I haven't run it yet but was doing some armchair recon on it and all the video I saw on it (after the change) made it seem rather straight forward. As I recall there's a rock on river left that you need to pull away from after going through the bulk of it, but there didn't seem to be much to it.
readNrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013   #4

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
Do people not know how to scout anymore or what?
Not sure what this means.

In any case, I'm just trying to get a little info so I can make a good decision on whether to take precious cargo down the Yampa next spring/summer, or head elsewhere. Scouting Warm Springs is standard practice.

Most info I've seen suggests the rapid is not any more difficult than it was before the rock slide, but I haven't seen a lot of reports on it.
Old 12-17-2013   #5

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post

In any case, I'm just trying to get a little info so I can make a good decision on whether to take precious cargo down the Yampa next spring/summer, or head elsewhere. Scouting Warm Springs is standard practice.

Most info I've seen suggests the rapid is not any more difficult than it was before the rock slide, but I haven't seen a lot of reports on it.
Search for warm springs and only pick video and info that was posted this past year. There at least 2-3 videos out there and plenty of written beta.

It looked pretty straight forward but I know people have flipped on this and in one of the video's there's a near flip. So take it for what it's worth. Still...looking at it I didn't think it was overly complex and I would run it with my precious cargo in the raft.
readNrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #6

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Last year at about 3 or 4,000 cfs we were kind of disappointed that it was a relatively simple run to enter the new top of the rapid and then run it as we usually have done. It was an easy scout to pick where and how to enter. Not much maneuvering was needed.

With all the reports of the rock slide we were hoping for something that would test our reading and rowing skills a little, but, it was not to be.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #7
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
it means people keep asking how is warm springs/joe hutch/insert_rapid_name_here despite there already being dozens of replies and video as if they don't know how to scout and decide the line for themselves.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L View Post
Last year at about 3 or 4,000 cfs we were kind of disappointed that it was a relatively simple run to enter the new top of the rapid and then run it as we usually have done. It was an easy scout to pick where and how to enter. Not much maneuvering was needed.

With all the reports of the rock slide we were hoping for something that would test our reading and rowing skills a little, but, it was not to be.
On that trip we were all hoping for something bigger, scarier, more flippy.
But never disappointed to be on the river with such a fine crew.

But as far a "run it as we usually have done"?
I seem to remember a nice left side run.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #9
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Walk the kids around on right.
Enter left with a left ferry angle to miss the top right rocks.
Pull right to miss the center rock.
Spin right and pull left to miss the bottom right rock.
Spin left and pull like hell to pick up the kids in the eddy.
Easy

Oh wait.... are you in a kayak,,, do it different
Old 12-17-2013   #10

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
it means people keep asking how is warm springs/joe hutch/insert_rapid_name_here despite there already being dozens of replies and video as if they don't know how to scout and decide the line for themselves.
Again, just looking for info to assist in good decision making with kids involved. And again, it sounds like nothing major changed and we're good to go. Whether they go in the boat or not will depend on what it looks like when we get there…

Thanks to those with the info confirming 'current' favorable conditions.

Now if I can just get the permit...