World record kayak surf??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-01-2013   #1

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
World record kayak surf???

OK we all know Tao is one bad mofo but to claim a world record surf kayak in these mushburger waves...not even. He was towed which is all good but I dropped a wave as big and way gnarlier - reef break in Hanalei Bay in Kauai. Anyway, am sure other kayakers have dropped bigger also like Corran or Fischer. Dropping big Teahupoo would big sick and might have already been done. Anybody in da buzz community know what the real big wave kayak surf record is?
Here is Tao's false claim in my eyes
Extreme kayaker sets record for biggest ocean wave surfed | Mail Online
And a vid of surf kayaking in Kauai we just posted...no footy of my near death drop sorry...

eaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
eaproductions,

I'm sure the waves you were surfing were pretty big, however after watching your video it looks like you only have footage of yourself surfing waves about 1/4 the size of the ones in Tao's article and video. As for being towed into the waves, that's the method that all big wave surfers I'm aware of use because of the logistics of getting onto a wave that big and going that fast. My understanding is there's a very real danger of trying to catch the big ones from a standstill - not being able to get the speed to actually ride the wave as opposed to being pulled up the wave's face and going over the falls.

Granted I doubt eaproductions has the resources to get the high-dollar production and video crew, specialized surf kayak big wave boat, and so forth, but I just don't see the evidence that you're on the same level as Berman's drop from what you've provided. And you're calling Berman's record fake while offering no proof of your own exploits.

It's kind of like if I were to boast about running Kootnai Falls in my oar rig to set a world record waterfall oar rig drop but I just couldn't be bothered to get any photos to prove it.

If you want to rag on me because I'm a rafter and "wouldn't get it because it's a kayak thing" go ahead. However I grew up around surfing, have been around whitewater for quite a while and have a buddy who's taken the US West Surf Kayak team to the World Championships a couple of times.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #3

The Bitterroot, Montana
Andy, Guys like Shane Dorion and Bruce Irons have been paddling, not towing into MONSTER waves for a while now (see Mavs, Jaws, Teahupoo, Waimea, I think The Right. etc) so yeah. Also Kootanai Falls is about 13 feet of vert, so I don't think you would be setting any records wether you got the shot or not. Hmmmm
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013   #4

Golden, Colorado
Tao's waves were orders of magnitude bigger than your Kaua'i waves. Not even the same world. If you think your session was burlier then you have a lot to learn about judging waves.

I've surfed the right at Hanalei in winter... on a surfboard.. During a real swell. Yes it is a good wave... And that was a fun sized day in that video, I'm sure it was a rush but it was not even a big day and no way it was near what Tao did.

I didn't like the clip of you dropping in on a surfer on that one right... I assume that was THE right at Hanalei... I'd be surprised if nobody talked to you about that one. Do you know what dropping in, shoulder hopping, snaking is? You don't belong at that spot.

Kayaks are super easy to catch waves with but they are not nearly as maneuverable as a surfboard. You have to be extra, extra careful about following the rules if you decide to get in the lineup in that thing. Don't ever ever ever drop in on a surfer in a kayak... Fucking NEVER.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013   #5

Aspen, Colorado
not dissing Tao

I never said that the footy in vid from decade + ago was bigger than when he was towed into the waves in OR. And I know all about wave etiquette and have prob. been surfing, butt surfing and SUP surfing way longer than Ture but all that said, I agree never drop in on anybody. But actually if you are butt surfing you get cut off and put over the reef as da boys don't like wave skis, butt surfers or SUPers for the most part. Ture I did drop a quad overhead at the main bay break back in 2002 and have been butt surfing etc. since the dark ages and spent TONS of time on Kauai surfing, kayaking surfing, wave skiing, and pioneering first river Ds. The wave I dropped was in 2002 when we were filming whitewater first D out there for Salomon...no biggie but it was stupid and way more life threatening then being towed into the edge of that mondy mush - not minimizing Tao's waves as he is in a league of his own. My guess is other rad dude boaters have dropped bigger/more serious waves than in Tao's vid...and just heard that some boaters were out in Kauai trying to run Wailua Falls...183 ft....3 feet short of the true world record. Is the risk worth it? Aloha

Old 03-02-2013   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
the music score for the video...now that's some sick stuff!!!
Old 03-02-2013   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
"In conclusion, big wave surfing is a world of contrasts...."
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013   #8

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaproductions View Post
I have been butt surfing way longer than Ture but all that said, da boys don't like butt surfers. Ture, I did drop a quad overhead and have been butt surfing since the dark ages, but it was stupid.
I kind of found your response a bit wordy and cut it down a bit. But I think I captured the jest of it.
Old 03-02-2013   #9

Aspen, Colorado
Beat it Haole

Yeah butt surfers get plenty of grief in the line up, at least the surfers now can wrath out on SUPers...as one of those also I can get grief standing up now and sitting down! "Beat it haole" heard that one before.

Old 03-02-2013   #10

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaproductions View Post
Yeah butt surfers get plenty up the can. I can stand up and "Beat it".
hehehe