Working for a rafting company - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-17-2018   #1

Working for a rafting company

Hey what kind of jobs to you do if you work at a rafting company if your not a kayak instructor or a raft guide, and benefits like travel. I think I would like to work for a rafting company maybe I could help feel the rafts, or even cook the lunches or something like that. Plus if there’s travel stuff involved and of course with free time I would have some chances to try out my new riverboard. Or maybe if not a rafting company maybe once I get good at riverboarding I could be a YouTuber and do vlogs about different rivers YouTubers make lots of money.

Gamer242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2018   #2

C. Springs, Colorado
Sounds like Bus Driver is right up your alley.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018   #3

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Most outfitters start hiring raft feelers this time of year. How sensitive are your hands? You might be in luck.
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2018   #4

Golden, Colorado
He’s gonna need to get his Raft Feeler certifications first though and that takes some time. It might be too late for this year’s season. Sorry, man.

They might need a good porta-potty cleaner the morning after Taco Bell Tuesdays though.

I’d watch that vlog.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018   #5

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Become a riverboard guide!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer242 View Post
Hey what kind of jobs to you do if you work at a rafting company if your not a kayak instructor or a raft guide, and benefits like travel. I think I would like to work for a rafting company maybe I could help feel the rafts, or even cook the lunches or something like that. Plus if there’s travel stuff involved and of course with free time I would have some chances to try out my new riverboard. Or maybe if not a rafting company maybe once I get good at riverboarding I could be a YouTuber and do vlogs about different rivers YouTubers make lots of money.
Some river companies hire riverboard guides, especially if you have long board experience.....
... Just call some commercial river rafting companies and see what they require of you. Good luck and have fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	site494-00.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	32453  
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Dude, that's awesome and good luck! I remember my first raft feelers job!
daairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018   #7
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Hey what kind of jobs to you do if you work at a rafting company if your not a kayak instructor or a raft guide, and benefits like travel.
Dishwashing is always in high demand, unless they have caught on to using paper plates. Benefits like travel usually don't come on until year two.

Quote:
I think I would like to work for a rafting company maybe I could help feel the rafts, or even cook the lunches or something like that.
Just a little warning, I had to feel a lot of rafts before I started getting paid for it. Mostly with a very wet and slightly cold butt. Once you can identify the make, model and length with your eyes closed, only using your butt - you are ready to turn pro. Cooking lunches is overrated. You don't want to work for any outfitters that are cooking lunches. That only leads to tips and God knows there is already way too much of that going on. Do it for the love.

Quote:
Plus if there’s travel stuff involved and of course with free time I would have some chances to try out my new riverboard. Or maybe if not a rafting company maybe once I get good at riverboarding I could be a YouTuber and do vlogs about different rivers YouTubers make lots of money.
The travel stuff involved only comes with free time. You will have unlimited time to riverboard. If you want to make the really big money on youtube you should practice your raft feeling on same strangers rafts and secret video the results. I think you could be on to something.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
One thing that will get you the job you deserve with a rafting company is to make sure that you differentiate yourself from the competition and I think you're a natural at this. When you go talk to the outfitters for a job, make sure to tell them about how much free time you'll want and your dreams of becoming a Youtuber after you spend some time feeling rafts. It sounds like you've got just the attitude and ambitions that will have outfitters encouraging you to travel and also give you plenty of free time to pursue riverboarding!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm going to take a slightly different route than the other posters.

Most raft feelers are 2nd generation (and sometimes even 3rd generation) employees, and often times the children of the raft company owners. Simply being a great boater and an interesting employee is what got the old guard their jobs. Now you need connections..if your dad wasn't a raft feeler, you probably won't be a raft feeler either.

On the other hand, the YouTube thing is probably your golden ticket. I had one video go viral, and I am KILLING IT.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018   #10

white salmon, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
Raft Feeler postitions were full - So I became the donutboy

Someone had open those boxes of Krispy Kremes and I was the chosen one. 28 years later look at me go.
donutboy is offline   Reply With Quote