winter whitewater Kentucky - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-17-2017   #1
 
Louisville, Kentucky
Paddling Since: 2015
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12
winter whitewater Kentucky

looking for someone in the Louisville - Lexington interested in local whitewater rafting KY during high water.

fletcherul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-17-2017   #2
 
Indianapolis, Indiana
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 36
You're in the wrong place for Kentucky. Look up Viking canoe club or bluegrass wild water assoc.


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
bellotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!
 
mattman's Avatar
 
Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,901
So I don't live in Kentucky, but what rivers do you run back there? I've driven through the state once, and was pretty cool, remember driving past some awesome looking whitewater to, no idea as to which river though. Was just curious about other parts of the country. Hope you find some friends to boat with, off season boating kicks ass when you can pull it off!!
Cheers!
__________________
We can't always agree, but we can still be civil to each other.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-17-2017   #4
 
Ashevile, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1995
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 20
KY whitwater

I'm in Asheville NC and I boat all over western NC, eastern and the plateau area of TN, South Carolina, North Georgia, West Virginia and Kentucky. Are you a hard boater or rubber pusher? Daniel
Raftnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017   #5
 
Louisville, Kentucky
Paddling Since: 2015
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellotti View Post
You're in the wrong place for Kentucky. Look up Viking canoe club or bluegrass wild water assoc.


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Also working on boater talk. I have had responses before on mountain buzz. there are eastern boaters who watch mountain buzz. thanks for the other suggestions.
fletcherul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017   #6
 
Louisville, Kentucky
Paddling Since: 2015
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftnc View Post
I'm in Asheville NC and I boat all over western NC, eastern and the plateau area of TN, South Carolina, North Georgia, West Virginia and Kentucky. Are you a hard boater or rubber pusher? Daniel
I have been oar rafting for two years. started in guide school on upper Klamath, one week Nantahala, river rescue III Nantahala, training on big south fork at 11.5 K (swam twice temp 32), New river at 0 - 2 ft, also at 4 and 6 but very intimidating even w mentor in boat. All this was preparation for GC July 2016 non-commercial. Did that, rowed about 200 of the 226 mi including most of major 8's and Lava. I have my own equipment (14 NRS, and 9.5) both w oar frames. My rowing buddy (and mentor) from TN has taken a full time job and doesn't have time for the big trips to W.Va and S. KY. so I have been unable to run whitewater since getting back from GC. looking for other experienced rowers to make trips with. Also local in 9 foot (Louisvill) rivers at flood stage, usually I and II w strainers
fletcherul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017   #7
 
Louisville, Kentucky
Paddling Since: 2015
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
So I don't live in Kentucky, but what rivers do you run back there? I've driven through the state once, and was pretty cool, remember driving past some awesome looking whitewater to, no idea as to which river though. Was just curious about other parts of the country. Hope you find some friends to boat with, off season boating kicks ass when you can pull it off!!
Cheers!
Around Louisville Floyds fork, Herrod's creek. During summer they run 50-250 fps. After a few days of rain, 1000-3000 CFS. not more that I or II s but the strainers are challenging. Wildlife is great, all unpopulated areas. Elk creek near frankfort KY is a commercial canoe creek with I's and II's have not done that one. Did Big South Fork (Cumberland) at 11.5 K last winter. very big III and IV. swam twice at 32 degrees.
fletcherul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017   #8
 
West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 329
Also near Louisville is Plum Creek in Spencer County. Lots of fun surfing on the fly when its up.
Paddle Iraq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017   #9
 
Blade&Shaft's Avatar
 
Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 309
Sick, I'm originally from Louisville but didn't do much boating before moving out to CO. My first time ever in a kayak was on the Falls of Ohio and I swam repeatedly out of my EZ and was really lucky not to contract syphilis or something worse.

I went and checked out the zone above the locks on a trip home last spring and was shocked by the magnitude of the rapids I saw. They looked manky huge beyond belief and I would guess they were running somewhere around 80k cfs. I have no idea.

The Russel Fork is full on, probably not what you're looking for. You're also (obviously) near VA and WVA where there are options for days. I'd be interested to know more about local boating near Louisville. Always wondered about Beargrass Creek in Cherokee Park on high high flows... Good on ya!
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017   #10
 
Indianapolis, Indiana
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletcherul View Post
Around Louisville Floyds fork, Herrod's creek. During summer they run 50-250 fps. After a few days of rain, 1000-3000 CFS. not more that I or II s but the strainers are challenging. Wildlife is great, all unpopulated areas. Elk creek near frankfort KY is a commercial canoe creek with I's and II's have not done that one. Did Big South Fork (Cumberland) at 11.5 K last winter. very big III and IV. swam twice at 32 degrees.

Did Elkhorn creek once in a 10' raft. I don't remember the level but it was just below sketchy dam portage level. It was fun, barely any class 2's but a fun afternoon. I've been wanting to get on the BSF for a long time but can never seem to make time for it.


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
bellotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whitewater Winter Music Series in BV. bvwp1 Whitewater Kayaking 1 12-07-2014 12:48 PM
New to Kentucky Bcu99666 Kayaking | Trip Planner 2 02-25-2013 11:36 AM
Hey Kentucky Boaters... I need a favor this winter LSB The Eddy 4 11-27-2012 10:21 PM
Tuber shot in Kentucky mania Whitewater Kayaking 6 07-09-2009 04:36 PM
Danville Kentucky??boating? wahoo Whitewater Kayaking 16 10-30-2005 08:31 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.