winter on the gunnison - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-04-2017   #1

lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
winter on the gunnison

I am looking for info on the lower gunnison to take my drift boat down for a winter fishing trip.Does anyone have some experience on that river that they will share? Thankyou for any responses

dreu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2017   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Which stretch are you looking for beta on? I think a drift boat would be best suited on the North Fork/Main stem confluence down to Delta, but it might be alright on Escalante to Bridgeport/Whitewater depending on your experience (there are a couple class II rapids in that run).
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1966
Sprinter Gunnison

Sprinter, not spring not winter, sprinter. Most folks do the float from what used to be called Pleasure Park at the confluence with the North fork down to Austin, but I'm sure you could keep going. Call gunnisonriverexpeditions.com 970-870-3232 they probably forgot more than I'll ever know about that stretch. The gunny is running 1240 thru the black canyon and Gunny gorge +200 or so out of the North fork that comes in right there at Pleasure Park. Dress warm, and enjoy.
jporter59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2017   #4
Mile 157

Guess, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I'm assuming you're referring to the Lower Gunny as the section below Delta to Colorado River confluence.

From my experience your best bet is to put in at Delta above the Uncomphagre River confluence and float down to Escalante access about 13 miles which makes a nice day trip: decent scenery, one easy class II riffle, pretty easy shuttle, good trailer access at both ends.

The real reason to do the above section with a drift boat is purely access related: there's no reasonable way to get a drift boat back on a trailer at Bridgeport because of the brutal carry under the train tracks and then up a steep hill.

At Whitewater access downstream of Bridgeport, you might be able to squeeze a narrow trailer between the gap in the train trestle to get to the water but the legality is definitely questionable and therefore not recommended. If it's wet & rainy the latter option might also get your rig stuck in the clay soil.

The next & last access on the Lower Gunny above the Colorado confluence is just above Redlands diversion dam (the dam is not runnable trust me) and has good trailer access but has a rutted, sometimes 4 wheel only access road that seems questionably unsafe to leave a vehicle at because of break-ins.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 04-09-2017   #5
$5 shower

Historic Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
You may put in at the Pleasure Park between Delta and Hotchkiss. There are several potential take outs. There are two river left maintained by the BLM and shuttled by using the bridge at Austin and then driving a couple miles on questionable roads back upriver to the ramp. You'll want high clearance to access those ramps.

Next is a private take out called Drysdale Flats. This is the best option for a daylong fishing float. Call the Pleasure Park 970 872 2525, $60 for them to shuttle. Do this in advance and expect them to maybe not have a driver available. This is what I generally do as the length is right and I often don't have a shuttle driver for a fishing float.

You'll need to run a diversion at The Orchards which is pretty easy but if you don't watch for it, it can bang up your boat a little. If you want to do a side hike, eddy out river right just after the diversion and you can hike up to an ancient archaeological dig

The next take out is at the Cedaredge bridge river left, this is the one we use when we're pleasure boating (not fishing). It's a few miles further downstream.

They've just improved the diversion just below the Cedaredge bridge so it's now runable but I haven't done it, the slot is just left of center according to the BLM. You could then take out at Escalante which would be a looooong day float and I don't know the river in that section.

You will not be able to get your drift boat under the train trestle at Dominguez. The next take out is at Whitewater which I have not used.

Good luck and feel free to PM with more questions.

Ken
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote