Will this work to freeze a cooler? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-08-2013   #1

norcal, California
Will this work to freeze a cooler?

I don't have access to a walk in freezer. I was thinking to freeze blocks using my chest freezer. Drop those into the cooler, fill in the gaps with ice cubes, pour in some cold water, and then freeze the whole mess solid with dry ice. Anyone tried this? Thanks!

barcolounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013   #2
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
This will work to some degree. Block and cube ice because of the way they are made hold a lot of air but you are reducing the surface area of the ice mass by freezing one sold block. The cost of the dry ice is also a factor.

I found a walk in freezer at a place where game is processed. When it's not hunting season meat lockers are willing to cut you a deal.

If you're not headed to the Grand then you should have no problem with your plan. The Grand trip is a minimum of 16 days on the river plus travel to the put in.

If you are in control of multiple coolers you can plan on some coolers for the first days and other coolers for later in the trip. As the coolers play out other gear can move into the empty coolers. They become dry boxes.

If you can plan on having a cooler for the last days you can freeze food into the ice and put dry ice on top so that the cooler won't start melting until late into the trip.

Freeze any food that can be frozen. Some foods can be frozen right into the ice. The top of the coolers with ice frozen into the bottom of the cooler will not be all that cool so put foods like vegetables on top and foods like meat on the bottom next to or into the ice.

If you are planing on eggs then use Egg Beaters pre frozen into or half into the ice.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #3

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have used dry ice to freeze a cooler with good results. I started with block ice that I cut into 3" slabs (I used a band saw, but any course tooth hand saw will work)

I covered the bottom of a cooler with slabs and filled in the cracks with ice chips. I then added a small amount of water to fill in the gaps. Note: Ice floats! Don't use too much water.

I the placed a slab of dry ice on top and let it sit over night. By morning I had a very solid block of ice.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013   #4

prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
i have used the method you described many times. it works well. just make sure of a few things:

always handle the dry ice with gloves.

don't let the dry ice come in contact with water, it will sublimate very fast and not give you the refrigeration effect you are looking for.

cover the cooler with a blanket while you are doing the freeze for better effect.

i usually get the cold water to fill the voids by putting ice in a bucket, adding water to the top of the ice, stir it around for a minute or two and then pour it in. that will get the water to 32 degrees. you don't need to fill to the top of the blocks, just till you can see it.

be careful putting fresh veggies in that cooler. you can get that ice to maybe 30 below zero. it will freeeze beer.

play with it. after a try or two, you will be the one with ice at the end of every trip.

have fun

bob
86304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #5
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I did the same method, except with much less care. I just got back from Main Salmon. 8 hours of driving rigged to the river, 5 days on the river and a day of driving back (rigged). My cooler was exposed to the sun the whole time. On the river I did put wet towel on it and didn't let the kids get into the cooler. I came home, parked my trailer in the garage and my water jugs and beer is still frozen in the cooler.

Make sure you drain the excess water from the cooler each day, it seems to keep the cooler colder longer.

I did throw veggies in the cooler before the freeze and some of them went rotten from the freeze, so it's good to know. Also, any water/beer in the cooler will freeze completely. We had almost no drinking water the first day on the trip because all my water bottles were frozen solid in the cooler.
Old 07-09-2013   #6
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
I wonder if you've checked the local grocery, restaurants and food warehouses? Properly approached, with humility and wallet in hand, one of these folks will gladly freeze your stuff. Especially if you buy stuff from them, like the grocery.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Funny Taste

I've heard that dry ice gives things a funny taste. If it's sealed in a bag and such - is there still the funny taste, or is that only with stuff that has direct contact with water/ice/dry ice in the freezer?
suzpollon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #8
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzpollon View Post
I've heard that dry ice gives things a funny taste. If it's sealed in a bag and such - is there still the funny taste, or is that only with stuff that has direct contact with water/ice/dry ice in the freezer?
All the stuff that was in my cooler was in sealed containers (egg beaters, whip cream, butter, etc). We did have salad in a bag, but I kept most of it away from touching the dry ice.

I couldn't tell a funny taste.
Old 07-09-2013   #9

p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
say on average how long will dry ice last if it does not come in contact with any water and minimal air
rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #10

prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
it would depend on how much dry ice and how much water.

are you going for the hollywood smoke effect?
86304 is offline   Reply With Quote