Will the Upper Salt River run this Spring? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-31-2014   #1

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Will the Upper Salt River run this Spring?

I am reading about the snow falling in Arizona. Does anybody have any projections that they know about whether the salt will run this year?

DesertRatonIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2015   #2

Cave Creek, Arizona
I'm sure hoping it will. My family has permits in and things are looking good. Snowing in Cave Creek tonight, which is pretty rare. You have till the end of the month to get your permit in. If there is no water, you only have to pay $11 for permit application.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by InflatableSteve View Post
I'm sure hoping it will. My family has permits in and things are looking good. Snowing in Cave Creek tonight, which is pretty rare. You have till the end of the month to get your permit in. If there is no water, you only have to pay $11 for permit application.

Is the snowpack still in the 60 percent range?

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2015   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Its too early to make that call, but as of now I would say no. This is a big storm, but it will take several more to create a deep enough base for a decent Salt season.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
I agree with you lmyers. The salt may have a few days in her but nothing that will amount to a season. I was hoping somebody would give me the news I wanna hear. It is nice to see Colorado getting dumped on though!

Old 01-01-2015   #6

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
We get most of our snow after New Years typically. I'd say with this storm were off to a good start. It just need to keep coming! Feb and March can be very wet so get those permits in!
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015   #7

Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Water basin is the White Mountain Range. They need 3-4 more storms to bring it up to 1,500.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
ClearCreek007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015   #8
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by InflatableSteve View Post
You have till the end of the month to get your permit in. If there is no water, you only have to pay $11 for permit application.
Yes it is $11 now but if you win you have to decide 21 days in advance of your launch day to pay the $185 permit fee. Even 3 weeks out the Salt is difficult to predict. Because of this I have a policy that you aren't on the trip unless you pay a $10 non-refundable spot holding fee before the 3 week deadline. I have seen too many permit holders burned by so called friends.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Always get the money from people! I have been burned by some of my best buddies as well. I also think its a good idea to get people on the trip who do not mind hanging out and taking our time with the trip. The last time I ran a thru trip, the TL was a slave driver, cook crew was up at 5 am and we pushed harder than a commercial trip would. The moral of the story is to Enjoy some of the countries first rafting options and don't forget where you are.
DesertRatonIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015   #10

Cottonwood, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
Yes it is $11 now but if you win you have to decide 21 days in advance of your launch day to pay the $185 permit fee. Even 3 weeks out the Salt is difficult to predict. Because of this I have a policy that you aren't on the trip unless you pay a $10 non-refundable spot holding fee before the 3 week deadline. I have seen too many permit holders burned by so called friends.
You know that this is a clear violation of the permit regulations, right?
AZJefe is offline   Reply With Quote