Will a PFD w/purpose labeled 'Recreational Rescue' pass inspection at NPS check in? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 07-09-2015   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Will a PFD w/purpose labeled 'Recreational Rescue' pass inspection at NPS check in?

I recently bought a Kokatat Maximus Prime rescue PFD. I like it a lot, and understand the risks + how to use the rescue features. That being said, the intended purpose of the PFD is labeled 'Recreational Rescue.' There is no mention of paddling, rafting, kayaking, etc.

While I know it's suitable for whitewater rafting, is it going to pass one of the stricter NPS check-in inspections?

I'd hate to get screwed at check in over something like that...

spenceuiuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
This issue should just come down to what "type" flotation device you own. I think rescue pfd's are considered "type V". Any permit should state "type III" or "type V" pfd's are required. Does your vest have any information on the type?
Ninja_Nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Yeah it's a type V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015   #4

Type matters but generally it also has to be labeled for the intended use. If you show up with a type III vest that says for water skiing you're hosed. Even if it says type 3 and obviously a river vest but the lettering about intended for paddling is worn off they might reject it.

I've never heard of recreational rescue so I'd keep asking to be safe.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Yeah that's why I ask. It's really odd to me that Kokatat didn't label it better. My girlfriend has the non-rescue version which is nearly identical, less the rescue belt and it's a type III, labeled for paddling.
Old 07-09-2015   #6

Pleasant Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
just call the NPS and ask
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #7

I just looked at mine and didn't realize it does say "rescuers harness pfd". It's been down the Grand, Lodore, etc so I think you are set.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015   #8

Des Moines, Iowa
Paddling Since: 1964
The PFD will pass the requirements at the LoDore check-in.

"The Prime is a Type 5 rescue version of the Maximus PFD platform, which was designed with input from whitewater paddling champions Dane and Eric Jackson."
Old 07-20-2015   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildPro View Post
The PFD will pass the requirements at the LoDore check-in.

"The Prime is a Type 5 rescue version of the Maximus PFD platform, which was designed with input from whitewater paddling champions Dane and Eric Jackson."

I'm having a hard time understanding this new 'regulation' with PFDs.

So a PFD that had a label that states : "was designed with input from my super expert buddy and his lifelong bro partner that shred the whitewater gnar all the time" would suffice because it mentions whitewater use ?

Sent from my way cooler than yours smart phone using Mountain Buzz
STD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
ladore

There is no reasoning with a Lawhore river ranger. Drive out to above Brown's Park where there is cell service and text a photo of the vest to park headquarters. This strategy has worked in the past.
catsailor is offline   Reply With Quote