Wilderness Gateway Camp Lochsa. - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-03-2019   #1

Alberta, Alberta
Wilderness Gateway Camp Lochsa.

Hey Idaho Folks: Bringing my kids down for the Memorial Day Madness and missed out on reservable sites until everybody leaves on the Monday. How are the walk in sites in loop B? Do they fill up fast on the weekend? Any info would be most appreciated. Thx Ray

Raft Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019   #2

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Yes! I tried coming in on a Friday a few years back and couldn't find a thing. There is not a lot of options for dispersed camping either as the canyon is so narrow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019   #3

Northeast Oregon, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
Hey, first time post here. I used to guide on the Lochsa and have used a dispersed camp just below the Wilderness Gateway bridge. It's not the most visible access, but you might be able to snag it. The GPS coordinates are: 46.332435, -115.333031. You also might be able to find a spot if you drive up the Selway. Good luck!
Chunkylover53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019   #4
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Hi Raft Dad,

I just want to give you a heads up that Memorial is a whole heap of fun at Lochsa and it is PACKED! A lot of us start arriving as early as Wednesday and normally by Thursday night the camp sites are pretty well sold out and people are camping anywhere they can fit a tent. We want you all to join us just want you to have a great spot to call home for the weekend too. I hope some others that have more experience with the open campsites (we are spoiled in Loop A) and can give you some good advice. Look forward to seeing you on the river!

Kindly,
Renee
Old 02-12-2019   #5

Alberta, Alberta
I appreciate the replies folks. Thank you.
Raft Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Three rivers will be open for camping again this year.
Old 02-13-2019   #7

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I've never been there for Memorial Madness.

Seems like too many people..is it worth it?
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019   #8

Northeast Oregon, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
If you like being around shitloads of people and watching big water carnage, it's a blast! Otherwise, I'd avoid that weekend.
Chunkylover53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019   #9

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I love that weekend at the Lochsa, and never miss it. It is NOTHING like normal, but it is fun. For us it is a social event, seeing friends from all over that make the trek. It may be the only time that year I see some friends.

IWA puts on two movie nights, which since it is after dark we rarely stay up for. The movie quality varies but the social quality is top notch.

Joining the crowd ar the falls is fun, it gets Packed so it can be hard to park. It is the best time for watching carnage because, for many, it is a flip contest. People pack chairs, shade, food, and drinks for the day and just spectate. Others do hot laps through the falls. It is crazy silly and one more thing that makes the Lochsa special to me.
Old 02-14-2019   #10

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I love that weekend at the Lochsa, and never miss it. It is NOTHING like normal, but it is fun. For us it is a social event, seeing friends from all over that make the trek. It may be the only time that year I see some friends.

IWA puts on two movie nights, which since it is after dark we rarely stay up for. The movie quality varies but the social quality is top notch.

Joining the crowd ar the falls is fun, it gets Packed so it can be hard to park. It is the best time for watching carnage because, for many, it is a flip contest. People pack chairs, shade, food, and drinks for the day and just spectate. Others do hot laps through the falls. It is crazy silly and one more thing that makes the Lochsa special to me.
See you soon Laura. Iím thinking about bringing the band this year.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote