Why do you raft? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-01-2017   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Why do you raft?

I have a question for the group. Why do you raft? Why do you love to play on moving water I am not asking the well discussed question of "why do we go" and why we take the risks that we do. More I want to start a discussion about what we love about the river and the whitewater life style.

Personally I love to get out and experience "solitude" and explore places's that most people never get to see. I love the physical, emotional and mental challenge of navigating whitewater. The planning and logistics of it is fascinating and the ability to live for extended period of time in the wilderness as comfortably as we can is awesome.

I want to know what is important to you!

This question is for everyone not just rafters, what gets you out of bed on your very limited time off to float and run the rivers we all love.

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2017   #2

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
My life is busy, I'm always connected to email, phone, messengers, etc. I need river time to slow myself down and remember how to go with the flow of the world instead of charging hard all day every day. I love whitewater and the thrills of finding lines and punching waves, but I also need flatwater lazy floats with a beer in my hand and my feet on my cooler, oars dry and the water taking me where it wants, with no outside interruptions for a couple hours.

Then there's the family closeness, the memories of river trips and adventures had, the impact on my teenager's approach to the world. That ability to spend time together without outside interruption is worth all the work and money spent to get there.
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017   #3

Apache Junction, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2008
I think I like the sense of adventure and isolation. Not knowing what is going to happen or what could go wrong. It adds some excitement to my office job 9-5 life. Gives you a small glimpse into what it was like to be Powell, or Lewis & Clark.
Then also what has been said about getting away from cell phones and everyday life and just spending some time with some good friends or family.
Jdsampsonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2017   #4

Golden, Colorado
I'm in it for the beer and scantily clad wimmens.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2011
I love spending time with friends outside.

I never really got into mountain biking or backpacking but have always loved day hiking and car camping.

Rafting is the bridge between backpacking and car camping. A way to get outdoors, away from people, but still maintain a life of relative luxury.

I love seeing the wildlife! I love seeing native art! I love listening to canyon wrens echoing their calls off of the walls. I love watching the water spin away as I make oar strokes.

It's a love hate relationship when scouting rapids and right before, that intense moment of the unknown. And then the adrenaline after.

I like singing songs around a firepan. Playing intense rounds of glow-in-the-dark bocci.

I like pooping with a view!

I mean, what isn't there to like!
luckylauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017   #6

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Family, friends, camping.
Old 11-01-2017   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Freedom, adventure, solitude.
protechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017   #8

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
To old to backpack

Switched to rafting cause I'm to old to carry all the stuff (and my wife's stuff) in my backpack. The scenery is pretty good as well but not the same as peering down atop the Tetons
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
For me some of the quiet times are the most special. When you can hear the oar moving through the water, the sound of a dragon fly landing on your dry box. It is those slow quiet moments that are some of the most restorative and centering.
Old 11-02-2017   #10

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I'm bored