Which raft pump? Just got new raft. Alaska in 11 days. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 08-29-2008   #1

Rockingham, North Carolina
Which raft pump? Just got new raft. Alaska in 11 days.

I need to buy a pump for a 14'4" Sotar with standard floor. I had planned on waiting until I found out the guy that sold me the raft (in Alaska) is sending one pump up with the raft. H e is sending the raft to the bush town where our float trip originates from. That was cheaper than him sending me the raft to NC where I live. For a remote fly in trip, I want two pumps. So now I need to order one real quickly. What pump do you suggest? K pumps any good? Any thoughts appreciated.

danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008   #2

Jacksonville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
K-pumps are decent pumps... I have a first generation K pump and it is ok for topping off- would much rather have an NRS or Carlson Barrel for inflating from nothing. Supposedly, though, the new K pumps are better and even more compact than mine. Probably a good choice for a fly-in trip.
Old 09-01-2008   #3

Leadvillian, Colorado
I have one of the smaller k-pumps and carry it as a top off pump and it works great. We've also done some self-support using a mini-me and pumped from rolled using it. It takes awhile but is possible and is nice that it's so compact once you put on. I guess you'll just have to judge if the weight and bulk of a barrel pump will be worth it to you. I certainly wouldn't settle for anything less than a Carlson if you buy a barrel pump. Good luck!
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008   #4

Rockingham, North Carolina
Thanks for the input. I ordered a K40 yesterday and had it sent 2nd day. Hope that will work out ok for a 14' raft. Looked to be more compact/light than many other options. Hopefully it won't take too long to inflate the raft.
danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
you'll be fine. they are well built pumps and that one has a 4 inch barrel. don't forget to put someone else to work on other chambers with your back up pump too. with two pumps and two people, it shouldn't take any time.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
Thanks for the input. I ordered a K40 yesterday and had it sent 2nd day. Hope that will work out ok for a 14' raft. Looked to be more compact/light than many other options. Hopefully it won't take too long to inflate the raft.
K Pumps are great for top-off (and backup) but kinda painful for complete inflation. Hope your outfitter set you up with a good barrel pump for the primary!
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #7

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Foot-pumps

Given back trouble, I quit using barrel pumps. For initial inflation and compact packing, I like the Bravo foot-pump: cheap, rugged, and it delivers ample pressure.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #8
Row,Fish,Row,Fish,repeat

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
This is the one that I have:

Bravo Superturbo BST 12 HPP Air Pump

I absolutely LOVE it, works awesome and tops me off too so I have no need for the foot pump other than carrying it with me while floating.
FishnPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
fishinphil, not too many car batteries to hook onto where he is going and i don't think his bush pilot is going to pop the hood on his cessna either.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, rafting