Where to Raft around Avon? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-27-2010   #1

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Where to Raft around Avon?

Some of my family will be staying in Avon Sept 6-10 and want to go rafting (up to Class III). Is the Colorado their best bet? I don't think the Ark will still have water, will it? What about the Roring Fork.

Also, can you recommend any guide service?

Thanks!

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010   #2

Edwards, Colorado
The water will be low and slow but September is about as pretty as it gets up here. Two very solid operations are Timberline Tours & Sage Outdoor Adventures. They'll give you a truthful appraisal of their trips at that time of year.

Add .com to those names to get their websites.
SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #3

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Lakota Guides is a great place to go for river trips as well as other activities. They offer a wide variety of raft trips as well as other outdoor activities in the area. About the only thing running up there is the Colorado, and if you want a touch of class II, They have a couple of options for running Shoshone - a Three-peat as well as Shoshone to Two Rivers. I've done both, it's a lot of fun, especiually with a family.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010   #4

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Glenwood canyon would still running at about the same flows as now. Call Lakota River Guides at 970-845-RAFT or check out Home | Lakota Guides, Whitewater River Rafting near Vail and Aspen Colorado.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #5

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Timberline Tours is the best! Vail River Rafting and Jeep Tours | Timberline Tours
Promethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #6

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Sorry that I don't have a company to plug, but I think your best bet is to do a three peat on Shoshone on the Colorado. Shoshone is a lot of fun, but it is super short. Everything past the first mile is really flat and boring, so I think you would have more fun doing a couple of laps on the 1st section. All of the outfitters around here do a good job and I'm sure you'll have a great time whoever you go with. The Roaring Fork will be pretty boring for rapids.
nervouswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervouswater View Post
Sorry that I don't have a company to plug, but I think your best bet is to do a three peat on Shoshone on the Colorado. Shoshone is a lot of fun, but it is super short. Everything past the first mile is really flat and boring, so I think you would have more fun doing a couple of laps on the 1st section. All of the outfitters around here do a good job and I'm sure you'll have a great time whoever you go with. The Roaring Fork will be pretty boring for rapids.
I agree with the above post. After the Shosone section the only rapid of interest is South Bridge west of glenwood...and it ain't that great either. Do the three-peat unless you're into fishing more than rapids, if that's the case, do the roaring fork. It's fishing great right now.

Have fun!!!!
NolsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #8

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Depends on the family I guess. If it's all adults, then I'd agree - three-peat is your best bet. If there are any kids, the flat stretch is fun too, because they can get in and swim and that sort of thing. Kids would be fine on the three-peat too though, it's a pretty easy class III.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #9

Avon, Colorado
Shoshone and Lakota

only way to go is with Lakota, and shoshone would be the most fun for the family.
Powdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #10

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The only Class III stretch near Vail is Shoshone this time of year. It depends what your looking for and the age of your kids. The 1st 2 miles or so is a great class III stretch. After that it mellows to a class I/II float. if your kids are older and you want a little more adventurous trip, Take the Triple Thriller (Timberline). It's a fun trip. If you kids are younger, and/or you really want to see the canyon, do the whole trip. The views are spectacular (think mini Grand Canyon...with a highway running through it) and the geology rocks (no pun intended) The full trip is about 12 miles and will take about 2 hours depending on the flow and winds that day. Can't go wrong either way. Hope it helps.
snorangr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting