Where to go boat? decisions, decisions - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-04-2012   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Where to go boat? decisions, decisions

Hey buzzards, looking for some good beta on god places to go work as a raft guide next summer. I live in the CO now, and there are ample places to boat within our borders, but I'm thinking about the other 47 states nearby. My mom lives in San Francisco so being that we have a 3 year old girl, Cali might be a good option. If it were you, where would you go. I want a good mix of water, I want to scare the shit out of myself on some runs but also have family friendly options. Living in an RV is an option.

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012   #2

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by krashhadley View Post
looking for some beta on god places to go work as a raft guide next summer.
Keep god outve California!

Why does Cali always get overlooked? Well,I know why,but... It sounds like Cali has everything you want. NorCal it is...
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #3

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You might check out South Bay River Rafters, runs out of n. cal...had my first paddling experiences with them in the 70's, great guides; in fact, 'ole Sidewinder Ed (24 years guiding for SBRR) looks like he is still around.

Whitewater river rafting trips - Adventure, Nature and Fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012   #4

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
I'd go get myself a real job that is year round and can pay the bills and take care of that 3 year old. Grow up and be a man. Take care of you family. Thats where I'd go if I were in your shoes.
Old 10-08-2012   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
Interesting opinion dirtbag. If more money is your only definition of taking care of family, then yeah you're right. But in my experience " the more money we come across the more problems we see." I don't a lecture, just good beta. Keep your judgements to yourself, and for the record, my little girl will always be fed clothed and sheltered before I am. Have fun at your real job
Old 10-08-2012   #6

Grand Junction, Colorado
BD, and Tomcat, thanks for the beta, and if anyone else has any beta please post away. But if all you want is to tell me how to live my life, well it'll be in one ear and out the other, so you might as well save your energy for boating. Interestingly enough, this was my wife's idea, I just happened to think it was an awesome idea.
Old 10-08-2012   #7

welch, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1976
Hay Great idea do the river thing while you are young -your daughter will love the life style and will grow up thanking you for the experience . My kids were raised by a river rat -me and they are into whitewater -so are my grand kids. you might look at the Nantahal out Door Center in Bryson City North Carolina . They run river at all levels and are very good people to work for . The rivers there are all levels from 5 to 1's . Good luck and listen to your wife !!
ranchman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #8

welch, Oklahoma
Oh by the way it takes a real man to make the decesion to live the river life style and be a family man you are on the right track. you and your clan will never regret this path and if it doesn't work just change gears and do something else. Life is to short to not enjoy
Old 10-08-2012   #9

Grand Junction, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchman44 View Post
Oh by the way it takes a real man to make the decesion to live the river life style and be a family man you are on the right track. you and your clan will never regret this path and if it doesn't work just change gears and do something else. Life is to short to not enjoy
I agree Ranchman, that is my hope and plan. And if it doesn't work out I'll find another way.
I'd love to check out appalachian runs, but the lady wants to stay closer to home, at least for the first year or two of our little adventure. But I hope we can steadily venture further and further and meet more and more people along the way. We might do Cali only because that is where my mom lives and we'd be borrowing her RV to live in. That thing costs about $700 to drive from CO to CA, the Subby costs about $150 max. But as we get better at budgeting farther destinations will become feasible.
The boating community is full of great people who raised their families on the river. everyone I've ever met who was raised this way has had the three attributes that I want my daughter to have, happiness, kindness, and confidence.
Old 10-08-2012   #10

welch, Oklahoma
You might look at betty buzz on this site . Lots of families