When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping.

I guess this is the way retailing should be for awhile.

This guy in green t-shirt is apparently considering a Woodland Power Stove keeping it sterile without touching. Either that or it is part of the sterilization of the hands process. First hand wash station which is at the end of red arrow and then Woodland Power Stove station and he is pointing at it saying "You want me to do what?"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DRE entry station.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	43835  

GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Itís like amazon only a bigger pain in the ass.
theusualsuspect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by theusualsuspect View Post
Itís like amazon only a bigger pain in the ass.
... but without the price savings. Love those guys...but its hard to give them business sometimes unless you are leaving on a trip and need last minute items.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
... but without the price savings. Love those guys...but its hard to give them business sometimes unless you are leaving on a trip and need last minute items.
Yeah man Iíve been torn on that as well. Iíll be honest, I try to shop local. I have told them numerous times that stuff like that is cheaper online and I ask them to meet me halfway or something. They are usually cool about that and because of that I buy a lot of stuff from them.

Theyíre good people and I never shy away from asking for a discount or price shop. Historically theyíve been receptive and done more than I was asking. I went in to buy a helmet recently, it was $20 cheaper online. I told them, they gave me the 40% off price for raftopia early. Obviously it was cheaper in store than online after that. Theyíve earned my loyalty and dollars over time by doing that. I make it up by sending people in to support them.
theusualsuspect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Now, now. It ain't cheap running a store front with several dozen dedicated knowledgeable boater employees where frequently several times monthly in the evenings they offer socializing, seminars, potlucks, free food/beer, etc.

DRE like all boating/recreational store fronts sell at MSRP. Like most boating stores once or twice a year they offer killer deals. DRE's is called Raftopia when almost everything is 10 to 40 or more percent off. This is also when they do their boat swaps.

Something that always rocked me back on my heels after spending a length of time telling everything I knew about such and such was the response "I wanted to know more about it and look at it before ordering it from so and so." Kinda leaves you at a loss for words but it is a known likelihood in retailing and at DRE we took it in stride.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Now, now. It ain't cheap running a store front with several dozen dedicated knowledgeable boater employees where frequently several times monthly in the evenings they offer socializing, seminars, potlucks, free food/beer, etc.

DRE like all boating/recreational store fronts sell at MSRP. Like most boating stores once or twice a year they offer killer deals. DRE's is called Raftopia when almost everything is 10 to 40 or more percent off. This is also when they do their boat swaps.

Something that always rocked me back on my heels after spending a length of time telling everything I knew about such and such was the response "I wanted to know more about it and look at it before ordering it from so and so." Kinda leaves you at a loss for words but it is a known likelihood in retailing and at DRE we took it in stride.
I get it... but that is the world we live in.

Most of the stuff I've bought from DRE was during Raftopia or the Fall sales they have there. The rest has been just before a trip and I needed something like a spare oarlock or other item that I spaced getting and don't have time to have shipped to me.

They seem to be happy selling it at the prices they do so it must be working for them.

Still...when I can buy it from somewhere like Outdoorplay and the likes for less then MSRP and they'll ship it to my door for free...its hard to go to DRE for stuff. Outdoorplay has a bunch of employees that are happy to answer every question I've had for them and have a storefront as well. Just sayin'.

I have a pleasant experience in there every time I go in. I do try not to "kick the tires" and not buy it from them though. That has to be frustrating. Better to leave that for REI

Sitting behind a rope and point at what you want so someone can bring it over seems a little silly to me... even for this "social isolation" time we are going through.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Golden, Colorado
I've brought a few things from Outdoorplay. I bought a Marmot Tungsten solo self support tent from them last year. A few other items.

Not that it really matters that much to me but I spot checked a few items. Sawyer Oar locks are perhaps 10% less. DRE oarlocks are priced at Sawyer MSRP. Power Stoves were the same price. Outdoorplay did not offer Partner Stoves. NRS River Wing's were priced the same. In the end, I didn't see a big difference except on "Sale" items but that is to be expected.

In this case it just boils down to how and where you want to spend your money. Where people who are likely to remember your face and name, or not; as opposed to maybe saving 10%. Oh well, stores have different business models and as you say, "that is the world we live in". One of the reasons I decided to flat-foot the retail floors at DRE as I was retiring was my total respect for how Greg and Dennis made you feel like a best friend and boating buddy every time you walked in the door. That is just how DRE is by very deliberate purpose. They are almost all seasoned boaters.

In this "social isolation" time of declared pandemic national emergency, I disagree and take what I feel is the more socially responsible perspective recommended by local/state/federal governments and all health agencies.

When you own a business with employees(and customers) you are constantly making life effecting decisions, in this case potentially life saving. To me, the DRE's approach, which is similar to Confluence Kayak's and many others small businesses is an ideal compromise to protect employees and customers, to provide a paycheck and to stay in business.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Salida, Colorado
Well at some level whitewater enthusiasts are risk takers. However if you ever witness'd someone die on a ventilator from respiratory failure and sepsis it might make more sense. BTW just because 70-80% of deaths are greater than 60 years old that leaves 20-30% of healthy younger people dying. So I say support your local community do your part until the tide turns.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Golden, Colorado
Regarding the business models of DRE and Outdoorplay.

It is easy to be a widget salesman like Outdoorplay. All they have to do is stock a vending machine.

A business like DRE does research and development, extensive community representation and services, manufacturing, repair, etc.

A business like DRE frequently develops new products and innovations. They are constantly attuned to customer needs/ideals and frequently co-develops new products with customers and manufactures.

Businesses like DRE spends innumerable hours representing the boating industry meeting with Chambers of Commerce, local, state and federal representatives, governors, etc promoting boating and river access.

I'm proud to provide the community service reports called the Snow and Flow Report and Rivers Forecasts I post here daily on Mountain Buzz. They are sponsored by Down River.

Enough of my whining but please, please buy local when you can whether it is from DRE, AAA, Riverboat Works, 4 Corners, Confluence Kayaks, etc.

(Regarding kayaking and rafting, businesses like Outdoorplay simply milk the hard work done by mom and pop stores around the country. (Where is my crying towel?))
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

St. George, Utah
I usually stay out of these kinds of discussions but this kind of hit home for me. We closed our small business in Southern Utah this week out of concern for our safety after people visiting refused to observe our guidelines. We had many visitors from out of state from heavily affected areas coming in and joking that they had come to Utah to avoid their cities. I realize that we serve the public but made the difficult decision to take the financial hit and close.
The restaurant next door also closed per state orders and here is how this small businessman decided to support the community.

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/ne...ge/2866449001/
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote