What's up with the Lochsa? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-20-2015   #1

Northern California, California
Paddling Since: 2009
What's up with the Lochsa?

The drought these last few years in California is really getting me down, so I'm starting to look elsewhere for work, especially Idaho. The idea of a spring working on the Lochsa and summer working on the MF sound appealing. But I know next to nothing about the Lochsa, so I thought I'd post a few questions for anyone in the know:

What's the typical length of the commercial season (I know it's all run-off dependent, but what can we expect this season?)
Are there any companies to avoid? Anybody to seek out? Who runs the most trips?
After a quick online search, I found ROW, Bearpaw, Three Rivers. Who am I missing?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quality.Boof.Move is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015   #2
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Only seen it from the seat of a kayak but it seems to be about the best whitewater rafting day trip of all time. Commercial guiding would be sweet. I don't think anyone puts first year guides on the Lochsa. People were on it 2 weeks ago with early flows (8k cfs). Unlikely to be significant work until closer to may. Peak is usually around memorial day and it tends to fall off quickly after that. I think for the most part after the Lochsa is done the commercials move the trips to the Alberton Gorge (outside Missoula MT) for summer. I get the impression some guides are Gorge guides who get to run the Lochsa when it's in and others are Lochsa guides who move to other regions after it's tapped out.

MFS would provide a longer less whitewater more oriented summer job. South Payette has consistent summer flows and fun whitewater.
Old 02-20-2015   #3

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
Check Out Seth Tonsmeire's outfit "Wilderness River Outfitters" out of Salmon, Id. Great people, I can't say enough good things about them and their company. Family outfit in business since the early 70s. They run the MFS, Main Salmon, multiple forks of the Flathead over aroound Glacier NP, and the Alsek and Tatshenshini in Alaska. Dont know if they need guides this year but it's worth a try. Good luck.
https://www.wildernessriver.com/about-us/history/
Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015   #4

Whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whetstone View Post
Check Out Seth Tonsmeire's outfit "Wilderness River Outfitters" out of Salmon, Id. Great people, I can't say enough good things about them and their company. Family outfit in business since the early 70s. They run the MFS, Main Salmon, multiple forks of the Flathead over aroound Glacier NP, and the Alsek and Tatshenshini in Alaska. Dont know if they need guides this year but it's worth a try. Good luck.
https://www.wildernessriver.com/about-us/history/
X2 on WRO - great outfit.
Old 02-20-2015   #5

The Bitterroot, Montana
The Lochsa is a dump these days, it only runs one or two days in a good season. It's all kinda just over hyped class II with nothing to surf and no big hits, just ugly roadside boogie water with arrogant guides that think it is actually whitewater.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015   #6

Northern California, California
Paddling Since: 2009
Thanks for all of the info!
Quality.Boof.Move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015   #7
PawPaw

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1993
What's up with the Lochsa?

Old 02-22-2015   #8
PawPaw

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by montuckyhuck View Post
The Lochsa is a dump these days, it only runs one or two days in a good season. It's all kinda just over hyped class II with nothing to surf and no big hits, just ugly roadside boogie water with arrogant guides that think it is actually whitewater.

Thanks for the assessment. You should probably look for a river, far far away that will meet your expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 02-22-2015   #9

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Sarcasm
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015   #10
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Orgasm