What's up in the Grand? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-12-2016   #1

OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
What's up in the Grand?

I came across this AP news article this morning:

News from The Associated Press

While the main topic is disheartening (and unsurprising that once again people are abusing their power), I am left wondering about this quote:

"One longtime human resources official interviewed by investigators said a "laissez faire" attitude exists of "what happens on the river, stays on the river." Grand Canyon officials until recently allowed river rafters to bring alcohol on the trips."

I think that I would have come across this topic on the buzz already if booze was banned in the canyon. I thought we just retired that thread- and I am not sure if I would want to spend a few weeks of the grand if I couldn't drink my PBR's!

SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2016   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I read it as the employees can no longer bring alcohol on work trips, surprised they still could this day and age.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I also read that as an internal NPS rule for their trips.
Tyrrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2016   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Just wanted to mention that the alcohol POLL that I started was purely hypothetical for conversation only. I have never heard of any such proposal anywhere nor do suggest that there should be such.

Regarding this new thread however, I too agree that it looks like they are talking about employees while on the job and I am also surprised that hasn't been banned long before now.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016   #5

OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
That makes a lot more sense. And I gotcha OB, I just thought that the correlation of topics was interesting!
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016   #6

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKeen View Post
That makes a lot more sense. And I gotcha OB, I just thought that the correlation of topics was interesting!
I agree. I thought the same thing.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016   #7
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Interesting that other issues are coming up about how the Colorado though grand canyon national park is being run. In addition to the unfairness in allocation of user day's between commercial and private boater's, and the seemingly excessive 22 pages of rules, we now have this unacceptable behavior that has come to light. Kinda looks like there has been a lot of just doing whatever they want in G.C. N.P. and not really being accountable to any one.
Old 01-29-2016   #8
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
River guide is the only occupation I ever had where drinking on the job was a requirement.
Of course, with freedom comes responsibility, with great freedom comes great responsibility; a beer on the boat should never become an event or the excuse for poor behavior.
Let em have a beer or so. Otherwise they'll be a) Pandering other groups b) lighting up, which is still illegal in Arizona/National parks.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016   #9

Flagstaff, Arizona
Hey Schutzie, did you see this High Country News article out yesterday:
Grand Canyon park‚€™s 15-year failure on sexual harassment ‚€” High Country News
The issue is a culture of top-down management in a hostile workplace. Not good. The present Superintendent and three behind him don't come out looking so good. The trouble is not just with the river unit. Yours, tom
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016   #10
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Citizens have been putting up with way to much out of THERE government for way to long, the thing now thinks it's the parent, instead of the child, just does what ever it wants, with out regard for right or wrong or morality.
It is truly sad, tragic, but how do you keep tabs on something so big and powerful?

My thoughts on the subject, and the related bigger picture.