What size raft to buy? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-24-2014   #1

OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
What size raft to buy?

I have been a kayaker for 9 years and decided that this is the year to buy a raft. I am looking for some input on what size would be best..

I am looking for the most versatile size so I am thinking 12 or 13 feet. Would 12 be big enough for big water like the Grand or something like Main Salmon at flood stage? If not, would a 14' be too big to R2 comfortably? Any input appreciated!

SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2014   #2

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I vote 14 as the most universal size. I R2 it, would take it on high water and can easily do a long trip with it. That being said, unless you are in the mood to burn money, why jump in to buying a boat right away. I would suggest renting and getting a feel for what you like.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014   #3

Fairplay, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
smalls fun

I have a 12' 6" NRS Expedition which I run a lot on the Arkansas--both R2 and rowing. Having used a 14" for a number of years I much prefer the smaller boat. I have taken a 16' Cataraft and a 14' raft down the Grand but wish I could have taken my 12' but logistics didn't permit. The bigger the water the more likely to flip in a small boat--if you have a problem with that go with the bigger boat.
fenceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2014   #4

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
14' with rocker would be a good match for what you describe. We all start small and end up going bigger.....something to think about.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
TriBri nailed it. For a Colorado boater with only one boat, 14' is optimal. Small enough for the headwaters rivers like the Ark and big enough for the Grand. though I do know folks that run the GC in smaller boats, it'll hold a lot more gear. And it's not too big to R2.

That said I know someone that runs Boulder Creek at 650 with a 16' boat...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014   #6

OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Thanks for the advice, looks like I am leaning heavily towards a 14'!
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014   #7
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
As far as the Grand is concerned check out how cheap it is to rent a 16 or 18 footer all outfitted. 14 is most versatile.
Old 10-24-2014   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Another vote for a 14 footer. I've had a 14 ft. Sotar SL for one season (many years rowing a 14 ft. cataraft), and I really like it. Decent room for gear/passenger, and versatile for fishing. Handled higher water Main Salmon and low water Middle Fork equally well. I don't do any paddle rafting so I can't speak to the R2 aspect.
Old 10-24-2014   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
I don't do any paddle rafting so I can't speak to the R2 aspect.
I guess I should come clean and say "the ONE time I ran my 14' as a paddle boat it did fine for R2..."
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014   #10

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1998
As a passenger, three x on the Grand, go 16 ft. I row a 14 er, and it would be small on the Grand, but people do it for sure! Get a boat that suits the the distance between the rocks on the river(s) you do most, then rent up or down as needed, or just get more friends to boat share.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote