What size and type of raft to get- fishing - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-21-2019   #1

Whistler, BC
What size and type of raft to get- fishing

Hi everyone, been lurking for a bit. Apologies for the redundant question but curious on your recommendations.

I currently have a Scadden(yes I'm still alive and unharmed...mostly) Assault and paddled some sections of river with class 2 rapids.

I'm looking to get a better outfit for a weeklong trip I plan to do every summer in a remote area of BC(35 min heli in). It has some class 3 rapids. It will be me and 1 passenger. Other than the big trip I hope to do day trips with my wife and kid fishing some mellow rivers.

I was thinking a 13 or 14' raft with a normal frame(nrs Bighorn), don't need the fishing frame as 99% of the time I get out and fish while wading.

What would you recommend for this type of water/purpose?

Thanks so much!

jonathankirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2019   #2

Golden, Colorado
Mmmm.....Scadden...I hear they are class V rated!

14’ Hyside.

“Next in line, please! Next,please!”

“Yes, you’ll want a 14’ Hyside,too.”

“Next in line! I said NEXT!”

“Yes, 14ft Hyside for you, as well. good choice,sir! Move along now, sir.”

“Next!”
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019   #3
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
It really depends on the size of your wife and her need for comfort. 14' is bare minimum for most milf trips.
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019   #4

Whistler, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Mmmm.....Scadden...I hear they are class V rated!
Well my first trip down a river with some obstacles I busted the blade on the oar in the first mile of the float, then bent the other oar shortly after. Just rowed in circles to get around.

Thanks, I'll look at the Hyside.
Old 02-22-2019   #5

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
The first thing you need to do is see what the capacity of the helicopter is then work backwards from that weight limit. If possible move everything in one trip. You may want a 12' or 13'.
John the welder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019   #6

Golden, Colorado
Yeah, buddy, scadden boats and Dave are both pieces of shit.

Regarding the frame, NRS is a solid choice. I’ve used them for 18 years now and still recommend them for what you want to do with them. Not the sexiest frame but great for fly out stuff and changing them to the needs of each trip.

Also, get the raft first, tape measure it all up and then order all the frame parts that fit your needs off the nrs site.I don’t really recommend just buying the generic bighorn frame unless it matches your fit exactly. Side rails length , oar tower height,etc. are examples of some good possible tweaks.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019   #7

Whistler, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the welder View Post
The first thing you need to do is see what the capacity of the helicopter is then work backwards from that weight limit. If possible move everything in one trip. You may want a 12' or 13'.
Thanks! there's a fair bit of capacity, 1400lbs, my partner and I weighed in at 1100lb with our gear when we just camped(and we brought a lot of extras) but brought a water master to fish the other side. So as long as we keep it under 300 it should be fine. We also brought 50lbs of water so we could save some room there. The ride isn't cheap so want to keep it to one trip!

Do you think 13' would be too small? Ideally 12 or 13 would be nice for my solo fishing but I do have the Scadden for those days.
Old 02-22-2019   #8

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
For what you are doing a 13' would work. You may want to think about future trips in a small plane and get setup for that.
John the welder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019   #9

Prqactice will be the key to your success. Practice camping with less, because you're not going to fit 1100 into a 13 foot raft without rowing from the top of a pile of gear (okay, so it's only 975 cuz the raft weighs 125). It's going to depend on how much kitchen you can leave behind.
Are you goint to bring a cooler full of ice? That demands a bigger boat. Using backpacking gear, 2 people in 13 is easy. In a 13 foot boat, rowing from atop drybox or cooler, will have room for a couple of drybags, and not tht much more. Is a groover required where you're going? That's a lot of space, unless you're using a pipe bomb.
Manufacturers usually tell you the interior width, and you can guestimate the interior length, bot tha taper at the ends take away a lot of volume. See how much of your stuff you can pile into the aproximate interior space of an NRS Otter 13 to see if you're in the ballpark. An Otter 14 will not only have another foot in length, but about 6" in width the whole length. It's a big difference, but I can tell you, it's a handful to deal with a 135 lbs boat for just 2 people at the take out if you can't get your truck near the water. The more gear you've gotta carry, the more gear you've gotta carry. I have an NRS E135. At times I wish it was bigger and at times I wish it was smaller. The way I camp, on popular western rivers, I'd like a little bigger for those 6 day trips
KipG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019   #10

Bailey, Colorado
Depends on what type of rafting you're doing. I do a lot of multi-day trips and have a 14 foot raft. I travel light with personal items but carry a lot of the required group gear plus water and food. When I take a woman with me, she takes up very little room but it gets a lot more crowded with all of her personal gear. Personally I would not go less than 14 foot.
Beaver Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote