What size and type of raft to get- fishing - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-09-2019   #41

Whistler, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterwhite View Post
haha. I think someone ordered the wrong parts.
Yep haha! Was supposed to be 60" wide, not 66" that I got. Not sure if it was NRS shipping the wrong ones or the distributor ordering the wrong ones, my invoice/estimate was for 60" so I'd guess NRS sent the wrong ones but who knows, oh well!

jonathankirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2019   #42

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
I just stumbled on to this thread having missed the first go round in winter. I'm glad you are happy with your choice--it seems a good one to me.

I'm dumbfounded that no one has asked what river you are flying into every year. Perhaps everyone else knows? Or maybe I am the only one uncouth enough to ask? Rest assured, I can't fish for shit, but a week in the wilderness after a sweet helo ride sounds pretty cool. Hopefully, for your sake, that pricy flight keeps it all pristine for you.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019   #43

The white room., Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrown98 View Post
I just stumbled on to this thread having missed the first go round in winter. I'm glad you are happy with your choice--it seems a good one to me.

I'm dumbfounded that no one has asked what river you are flying into every year. Perhaps everyone else knows? Or maybe I am the only one uncouth enough to ask? Rest assured, I can't fish for shit, but a week in the wilderness after a sweet helo ride sounds pretty cool. Hopefully, for your sake, that pricy flight keeps it all pristine for you.

Unless you are going to some crappy place that you don't care about, then
under NO circumstance should you say where you are going on a bulletin board like this. Fastest way to have it over run.
ski_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019   #44

Golden, Colorado
Man, every time I look at that frame on that raft I see allot more than 6” of slop and error. Looks more like 6” of slop on each side to me, really.

Bringing it in 3” on each end doesn’t look like you’re still even getting on the chafer. Three extra inches on each side is usually still on the chafer if fitting for center of tube or slightly past center of tube.

There’s actual daylight coming through on that far side.

Edit...you also might want shorten those side rails to give yourself more room for a gear pile in the back. 13fter is pretty small as is so your going to need to maximize that space.

Run your frame anyway you like, no doubt. Zero shits given here, of course.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019   #45

Whistler, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Man, every time I look at that frame on that raft I see allot more than 6” of slop and error. Looks more like 6” of slop on each side to me, really.

Bringing it in 3” on each end doesn’t look like you’re still even getting on the chafer. Three extra inches on each side is usually still on the chafer if fitting for center of tube or slightly past center of tube.

There’s actual daylight coming through on that far side.

Edit...you also might want shorten those side rails to give yourself more room for a gear pile in the back. 13fter is pretty small as is so your going to need to maximize that space.

Run your frame anyway you like, no doubt. Zero shits given here, of course.
I don't disagree and defer to everyone here, when it comes to rafting I'm entirely new. I do appreciate everyone's suggestions

The centre to centre is 56", nrs frames are 54", 60" and 66" wide, liked the nrs frame due to how it breaks down for the heli basket. I can always trim up the width on the 60" if needed. My friend bought the same set up and it looks pretty good in terms of where the side rails sit.

As for the river, it's not too hard to find out but there's a lot of choices in BC. Let's just say it's near Waldo Creek.
jonathankirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019   #46

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathankirby View Post
I don't disagree and defer to everyone here, when it comes to rafting I'm entirely new. I do appreciate everyone's suggestions

The centre to centre is 56", nrs frames are 54", 60" and 66" wide, liked the nrs frame due to how it breaks down for the heli basket. I can always trim up the width on the 60" if needed. My friend bought the same set up and it looks pretty good in terms of where the side rails sit.

As for the river, it's not too hard to find out but there's a lot of choices in BC. Let's just say it's near Waldo Creek.
I like the way you think. I've only made it up to BC once for rafting and it sure is amazing. Several of those rivers are on the bucket list. I'll probably never make it to yours but who knows. Enjoy the new boat and your trip this summer.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote