What size and type of raft to get- fishing - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-24-2019   #31
 
Arnold, California
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathankirby View Post
Here's the bird, and my ugly mug. If my memory is correct it's an Astar?


Thatís an Astar. They have more lift capacity than a 406 or a standard 407. There is an upgraded package on the 407 available that does get close to an Astar.
Regardless 1400# for 2 people & gear seems doable. The volume of gear is probably going to be the limiting factor. Getting a boat to roll tight is probably key. The Otter will probably be the smallest roll youíll get.

__________________
Cheers
SherpaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-24-2019   #32
 
Whistler, BC
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherpaDave View Post
Thatís an Astar. They have more lift capacity than a 406 or a standard 407. There is an upgraded package on the 407 available that does get close to an Astar.
Regardless 1400# for 2 people & gear seems doable. The volume of gear is probably going to be the limiting factor. Getting a boat to roll tight is probably key. The Otter will probably be the smallest roll youíll get.
Ya 1400lbs should be easy, we packed pretty heavy(I packed 7 of everything-socks, underwear, shirts, then more pants and shorts than i needed). Next time it will be 2 of most things except fishing gear, no such thing as too much gear on this river.
jonathankirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019   #33
 
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 865
AStar 350B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherpaDave View Post
That’s an Astar. They have more lift capacity than a 406 or a standard 407. There is an upgraded package on the 407 available that does get close to an Astar.
Regardless 1400# for 2 people & gear seems doable. The volume of gear is probably going to be the limiting factor. Getting a boat to roll tight is probably key. The Otter will probably be the smallest roll you’ll get.
AStar 350B, this is a picture of the same helicopter from jonathankirby post. With the side basket also, cargo room is greater in capacapacity, but not weight thought. 1450 lb. Is still the limiting factor. Bell's 206, Bell 407, are a discustion for a different form.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24612588676_d1bac28d40_b.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	33201  
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 1 Week Ago   #34
 
Whistler, BC
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 15
Thanks everyone for all of your help! Got an NRS otter 13' and big horn frame. Just figuring out where to put everything and what's comfortable.

Thank you! Look forward to sharing trip pictures later this summer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190504_174028.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	34373  
jonathankirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #35
 
Golden, Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 176
Nice boat.

I see you skipped my advice to measure for the frame after you get the raft though. that’s one super sloppy fit you got there, dude. Good luck with it.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #36
 
Whistler, BC
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Nice boat.

I see you skipped my advice to measure for the frame after you get the raft though. that’s one super sloppy fit you got there, dude. Good luck with it.
Maybe don't assume? dude.

I got shipped the wrong parts, 6" too wide. Will either replace them or cut myself for a better fit.
jonathankirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #37
 
quinoa's Avatar
 
Ute City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 73
If they sent you the wrong size I recommend sending them back for the right size before I would cut them yourself, especially for the right sized foot bar. If it was their mistake all costs associated should be covered by them. Nice boat! I love my NRS!
quinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #38
 
Whistler, BC
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinoa View Post
If they sent you the wrong size I recommend sending them back for the right size before I would cut them yourself, especially for the right sized foot bar. If it was their mistake all costs associated should be covered by them. Nice boat! I love my NRS!
Good point on the foot bar, didn't think about that!

only issue is it's a 2.5hr drive each way to the distributor, have asked for replacement and hoping they will courier it to me.

Luckily I have a friend that's laid miles of pipe in his life so if need be he can help me knock this off pretty easily
jonathankirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #39
 
elkhaven's Avatar
 
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathankirby View Post
Good point on the foot bar, didn't think about that!

only issue is it's a 2.5hr drive each way to the distributor, have asked for replacement and hoping they will courier it to me.

Luckily I have a friend that's laid miles of pipe in his life so if need be he can help me knock this off pretty easily
Hacking things down is not that hard and you can get it exactly the width you want.... if that is indeed 6" narrower and a factory length, I get it... but I like my frame to sit as wide as possible, right at the edge of the rub strip or curve of the tubes. The foot bar is more of a PIA as you have to cut half of your total shortening length of each side to keep the bend centered.... But if you are hours of travel from your supplier, I know which one I'd choose to do.... I'd much rather tinker than drive.
__________________
"If you dont do it this year, you will be one year older when you do"
-Warren Miller
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #40
 
Bozeman, Montana
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Nice boat.

I see you skipped my advice to measure for the frame after you get the raft though. thatís one super sloppy fit you got there, dude. Good luck with it.
haha. I think someone ordered the wrong parts.
walterwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ZelGear BeaveR-2 and OtteR-4: New type of frameless R2 and R4 lfromzel Commercial Posts 2 10-12-2015 12:25 AM
perimeter rope width / type around raft Burrito Whitewater Rafting 8 07-11-2015 03:54 PM
what size raft to get nupey Whitewater Rafting 6 05-18-2010 06:28 PM
Type of glue for Odyssey raft? sbratt Whitewater Rafting 5 04-15-2008 01:56 PM
What type of raft material? dvanhouten Rafting | Gear Talk 4 01-28-2007 01:56 AM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.