What size and type of raft to get- fishing - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-22-2019   #11

Whistler, BC
Thanks Kip, the 1100lbs was food, my partner and I(around 450-475lbs or so total), water master raft, camping gear and a yeti 85 filled with ice/perishables. We went a bit overboard on the things we brought(heavier folding chairs, a 25lb propane tank, large stove etc) No groover required here.

Most of the spots I fish should have a boat ramp which would makes things easy.

So what I'm sensing is that 14' would be ideal for a week long trip or even drifts with my family in a rowing set up? Stick to my scatten for the solo trips?

Thanks everyone for all of your help!

jonathankirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019   #12

Whistler, BC
any thoughts on this raft? a bit old but nice price.

https://boise.craigslist.org/bod/d/b...823220734.html
Old 02-23-2019   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathankirby View Post
any thoughts on this raft? a bit old but nice price.

https://boise.craigslist.org/bod/d/b...823220734.html
II don't think it's a steal, but probably a fair price. It's one year older than my NRS, and I expect to have it many more years. It's big enough to carry a comprehensive repair kit <<<Hint. I would expect that it should hold air well enough, but you'll want to carry a top-off pump anyway. And buy a couple of replacement valves, and change one for practice.
You know that's 165 lbs, more of less, right?
KipG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2019   #14
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by KipG View Post
It's big enough to carry a comprehensive repair kit <<<Hint.
That's pretty darn funny man! Sellers should post that one for some of these 40 yr old $10,000 Avons they are trying to sell!

JonathinKirby, do a search on this forum for how to check out a used raft, folks have posted some good advice, such as inflating one tube at a time, having a spray bottle, checking for leaks, looking for blown out I-Beams in the floor, Etc.
Just like buying a used car, the more you know about things wraong that are a big deal to fix, and ones that are simple and cheapish, the better off you are.

I might not mind having that boat for Grand Canyon trips, but it would be pretty heavy to fly in though.

Best luck on finding a good ride!
Old 02-23-2019   #15

Whistler, BC
Thanks again! Didn't realize how heavy it was.

Might just splurge and buy new. Was thinking the NRS Otter or if the wife allows me maybe the Hyside or a Maravia, Cascade has what appears to be a good deal: https://cascaderivergear.com/shop/ne...maravia-storm/
Old 02-23-2019   #16

Golden, Colorado
Donít get a Maravia for what you want to do. PAIN in the ASS to roll and get small vs. a hypalon boat. NRS or Hyside is what you want. You will also cause damage long term rolling those boats. Doesnít affect hypalon.

Maravia is a GREAT boat to trailer but not throw on a plane, helicopter or horse.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019   #17

^^^ Very true!
I'd buy the Otter, and here's why; it rolls up the smallest, and assuming you're not using it 100 river days a year, it should last a lifetime. Hyside will give a little better fit and finish for a little more money, and either one is a good choice. Definitely go with about 14 foot by 7 foot, as you don't need the narrow one for smaller rivers and the extra space is important on multi day trips
Old 02-23-2019   #18

BTW, that Maravia would be a fantastic play boat for R4, or even 6 paddlers, but not the best expedition or fishing raft. At only 6'1" wide, you're missing out on a ton of cargo space and capacity.
Old 02-23-2019   #19

Whistler, BC
Thanks guys, you are all so awesome for your help!
Old 02-23-2019   #20

Arnold, California
Initially Iíd suggest a Super Puma, but youíll want to factor weight. Iíd guess itís ~135# & add ~40-50# for a NRS frame. As mentioned earlier a Hyside would be fine too but I donít expect the weight savings would be significant. The bigger factor is what can you live without as it sounds like you have around 600# of gear which seems kinda high. Changing to a water filter and 2-3 jugs will fit in the boat much better. 50 gallons takes a lot of space.