what not to forget for a GC trip - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-24-2019   #11

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
Lip balm. 2x stash in different bags
Dental floss
Wrist brace (if you have an old injury it will act up)
Sewing kit
30 feet 1inch tubular webbing (can fix a whole lot with it, including lace in floors)
In the repair kit west systems gflex repair pack, tear aid a and b tape
extra sunglasses
extra headlamp
extra hat
Sacred takeout clothes (clean, cotton, and vacuum sealed and then ziploced) at the end of the trip pulling on clean non-grimy clothes is really nice.

jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2019   #12

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade&Shaft View Post
Beer.
gosh I almost forgot! the only question is... how much is too much? the boat does need to float after all.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019   #13

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Beer is good stuff.

That brings to mind considering that it will be December that things like hot buttered rum and spiked cocoa will warm the belly. Watch out for the potential hangovers.
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2019   #14

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Pair of binoculars, stronger the better. SLR camera with telephoto, macro and wide angle lens.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019   #15

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1991
Flex tape.

Had the bottom seal-weld of one of the dishwash buckets start leaking almost as fast as you could pour water in on day two. This stuff worked great as long as you remembered to NOT put said bucket on the blaster for hot water.
kanoer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019   #16

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Any shoulder season trip I always have a pair of tall boots that allow you to get into the water without getting wet for rigging etc. For a winter trip I would consider them mandatory personal gear.

https://www.xtratuf.com/collections/...oot-copper-tan
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019   #17

- Para cord and binder clips to hang wet clothes
- 10-20 new washcloths, heat in water one morning for hot body wipes
- socks and gloves to wear over lotion at night
- spare 2” hose clamp, we had an umbrella holder break and a spare clamp would’ve been tits
- personal lunch box or bag
- lots of spare locking carabiners
- we all brought our own personal 1st aid kits, just because we already know how they’re stocked and never had to dig into the outfitters supplies for minor
- narrow neck nalgenes - we used them exclusively for liquor so we knew regular mouth bottles were water and narrow neck were booze
- packed spare booze in 64 oz flasks in a 20mm ammo (you can fit 10 handles in one box!)
- “There’s This River”, short stories to share, great fireside reading

Honestly, if you have a great crew and a good outfitter, you’re set! Have so much fun!!!
mountaingirlscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019   #18

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Spare dry suite gaskets, we’ve ended up needing them on a couple of trips now. Brush up on your replacement knowledge before you go, as well.
NRS site has a great tutorial.
First time we had to replace one, we had no idea what we were doing...

I’ll second, third, fourth and fifth, the ditch boots. Most important piece of gear after dry suite, in my opinion. Uninsulated, so you can dry them out when you step in to deep at the put in!( least that’s what I usually do...)

“Day hikes from the River” by Tom Martin.

Have a great trip down there! I love winter in the Grand!

A hot tent is REALY awesome, if you can pull it off...
Old 10-24-2019   #19

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
BEER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifgav View Post
gosh I almost forgot! the only question is... how much is too much? the boat does need to float after all.
I started layering the bottom of my cooler with one row of cans, on the longer trips.
It works pretty great, I try to do half frozen in the cooler, other half in the dry box or something.
Air temps keep it nicely chilled at the start of the trip! Some good threads on this site with advice on freezing beer. I mostly just freeze my cooler solid in my driveway, it’s to damn cold where I live...
Old 10-24-2019   #20

Jackson, Wyoming
I bought a silk sleeping bag liner right before my grand trip and it is my single favorite piece of gear I've ever purchased.
Ranye is offline   Reply With Quote