What is the BUZZ for?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-06-2015   #1

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
What is the BUZZ for??

I am a long time rafter, but new to the Buzz. Like many (I think) I joined to become part of the community, and get insight and advice on runs and gear.

However, it seems like there is very little community and the insight and advice gets overpowered by opinions. I joined this spring to stay on top of the rising water in CO. I wanted to know how the water was changing and what safety concerns there were, only to spend my time reading about how one guys life is worthless because he wouldn't save someone's dog, or how someone is a POS because he warned everyone that a throw bag that disappeared. How about the current thread about the helmetless guide at RMA, or the previous one about River Runners. Are those necessary? I even tried posting a couple threads to get advice on gear and rivers, only to mostly get sarcastic comments. I cant wait to see what the replies to this might be.

The good thing is that the personalities I see here, I rarely see on the river.

CaptBiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2015   #2
swimming

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
You are spot on, basically Mtbuzz is the toilet of the rafting world and there is nothing but a bunch of turds recirculating around here, except for a few who are helpfull. The advise you get is the same old rhetoric and basically how to build a raft package out of dirt and sticks and wood for $3.69 , I rarely participate anymore due to some of the people on here. I watch the sale section and look at the daily barf spewed by all of the self proclaimed pros who have been on the sticks for about 5 years if you are lucky , have no idea how to set up a boat and now know everything so they help newbies set up their boats goofy also. Just another day of internet paradise. Oh wait was I supposed to argue with you The plus is I have never run into anyone on the river that acts this way either but it is probably because I am not a small out of shape dude and they know shit would go south in a hurry running their gums.
Riverbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015   #3

Seattle, Washington
see, too much straightforward sincerity. There's nothing here to work with.

MtnBuzz is not and has never been a polite on-topic discussion board.

Get some schlitz, some turkey legs, and the way back machine and go read some work on your posting skills. If at least 2 people don't get irrate and threaten to quit the buzz, you probably only think you have an opinion.

you might think you are talking to literate, well-travelled connoisseurs of natural beauty, but really, we're all just a bunch of burnt-out skiers and hitch hiking waterfall hucking unemployed hardshellers.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2015   #4
Total newbie

Arvada, Colorado
I got some pretty toxic replies to some of my newb questions so I decided to mostly lurk and never ask another question again.
Bonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015   #5

Edmond, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1988
I remember when Frenchy started this site. It was for a school project (I believe).
It was cool to jump on and actually get some good info. Just like anywhere in the world pollution has taken over. Now I just read it like its the national enquirer.
robfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
I kinda relate the Buzz to working in a kitchen... people talk about life, they joke, they banter, sometimes things get out of hand... if you don't have thick skin or a thick head it can be hard to get along.
If people get pissy with you tell em to go pound sand.
Also, enlighten and humor yourself on some Chunderboy posts. A while back there was a "best of the Buzz" thread floating around... that's a pretty good one if you're really lookin to find out what the Buzz is about.
I'm usually just bored at work... I very rarely post on weekends, busy on the river.
This is the curse of going from the pizza shop to a regular ol' nine to five.
Old 08-06-2015   #7

Cave Creek, Arizona
Same with any internet forum. I have still gotten a lot of useful info on here, and I try to help others with their questions when I can. Though I do my fair share of goofing around on here too. The internet will never give you that close community feeling, but it will do for when you can't actually get on the water.
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015   #8

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Sorry, I didn't read the whole OP post. It got boring really, but I would just go with the Jackson Karma. Its so good. Good luck finding the right boat.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015   #9
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBiggler View Post
I even tried posting a couple threads to get advice on gear and rivers, only to mostly get sarcastic comments. I cant wait to see what the replies to this might be.

The good thing is that the personalities I see here, I rarely see on the river.
I looked at your posts ( there were only 16 so it wasn't hard) and I really didn't see anything to get bent about. You gave some advice and got some advice. There are some really great people on here. Seems like you could be one. Sure there are lots of unnecessary threads and posts but the site doesn't create content they just try to not let it get threatening or just plain old mean. Be the community you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbound View Post
You are spot on, basically Mtbuzz is the toilet of the rafting world and there is nothing but a bunch of turds recirculating around here, except for a few who are helpfull.........The plus is I have never run into anyone on the river that acts this way either but it is probably because I am not a small out of shape dude and they know shit would go south in a hurry running their gums.
Then flush yourself on down. Anyone who threatens violence over someone 'running their gums' is no friend of the river. Bet you must be a really strong tough guy no doubt to have this kind of internet presence.
If one guy you run into is a turd then he likely is. If everyone you run into (online or in real life) is a turd....then it might be you. But whatever works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Sorry, I didn't read the whole OP post. It got boring really, but I would just go with the Jackson Karma. Its so good. Good luck finding the right boat.
Best answer by far.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015   #10
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Shit, that's a good comparison soggy! Kinda is like working in a kitchen ,when i think about it!!