What is best way to wrap rope around exterior of raft? - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 1 Week Ago   #31

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I'm contemplating scenarios requiring cutting in the event of a rescue. Can you specify such a situation. I'm not saying they can't exist I'm just wondering if other courses of action might be better justified than cutting the perimeter line.

One obvious event I can think of is snagging a tree or rebar. In such an event I'd likely(hopefully) cut the line at the point of the problem. Another would event would be human entanglement but cutting the line might turn a bad situation worse if the person is going down the river with 30 plus feet of rope attached to him.

Anyway, help me figure out this cutting in the event of a rescue. I can think of some implausible situations but I guess that is frequently what a rescue situation is. (Leg entrapment is the best situation I can think of.)

GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #32

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
One thing I don't like is mooring line that they frequently recommend at stores. It picks up too much trash, sand and dirt.

To add to this, I really dislike round rope as a perimeter grab on paddle boats. It's REALLY hard on my knuckles and somehow I end up barking my fingernails/cuticles (not sure what you call it, but the skin on teh side of my nails has been ripped a few times) when bow paddling. Flat webbing flat through the Drings is MUCH nicer on the hands when paddle rafting in interesting water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
I'm contemplating scenarios requiring cutting in the event of a rescue. Can you specify such a situation. I'm not saying they can't exist I'm just wondering if other courses of action might be better justified than cutting the perimeter line.

One obvious event I can think of is snagging a tree or rebar. In such an event I'd likely(hopefully) cut the line at the point of the problem. Another would event would be human entanglement but cutting the line might turn a bad situation worse if the person is going down the river with 30 plus feet of rope attached to him.
If the snag is under water, you can cut the rope above water to free it.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #33

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Having perimeter line underwater and out of sight is hard for me to visualize but I guess it is possible. Even if the boat is flipped. Again, perhaps a bad to worse situation potentially leaving 30 plus feet of rope in the river ripe for future entanglement potentials.
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #34

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
Polyester>polypro>nylon for strength to weight, stretch resistance, sun fading, and mildew. Strapworks has a good selection of each type.

Iíve had different types of ropes and straps for perimeter lines on a few different rafts. What Iíve settled on as my favorite now is two long 1Ē polyester cam straps ran through the d rings. You can adjust tension at either end of the boat, take off easily when you want, less likely to snag flies when youíre fishing, good breaking strength, doesnít sun fade, and doesnít stretch. I donít tie off at each D ring. If you need to cut it in a rescue, you can cut anywhere to free it.
I like this idea but I'm going to modify it a bit.

I just bought some tubular polyester webbing and some of those double cam buckles on an earlier post from strapworks. I'm going cut it into 2 pieces, tie each piece to the stern d ring, then put the double cam buckle on one side of the bow d ring.

My current single strap is sun faded and tough to get fully tight sometimes because all the friction through all the d rings means only part of it wants to slide when I tighten... having 2 pieces should make that easier to fine tune but my plan will only be adjusted at the front.

If my plan doesn't adjust as easily as I think it will I'll until from the stern d ring and put another double cam there.
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #35

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
I think you got a good plan. I think I may have to get me one of these double ended cam buckles.
I have been just using a good knot on the tubular webbing and adjusting when necessary (damn passengers complain when it’s too tight and then complain when it’s too loose.)
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #36

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Rescue situation...someone goes under the boat in a pin and gets hung up in the perimeter line. I’m on the high side and can’t get under to cut where they are. Cut up top and hopefully they flush.

Is it likely? No. Would I feel like a real asshole if it does and I have my perimeter tied on every d ring? Who knows. The way I rig my perimeter line is tight and if I want to tighten it more, I don’t have to mess with every d ring. I pull on either cam and it gets tighter.

I know it’s not a popular phrase but it’s all personal preference. I look at my boat rigging first from a safety perspective, then rowability, then comforts. I’m always open to peoples’ opinions When the see how I rig and definitely take ideas for improvements. I approach most things in life including rafting from the perspective that if I’m always right and my ways the best, I’m surrounding myself with people dumber than me.

I just haven’t found anyway or anyone to show me a setup I like better than what I currently have. When I find it or it’s shown to me, I’ll change to that.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #37

Calgary, Alberta
^^^ fair point.

I ordered enough double cams that I can rig it the same way you describe if necessary.
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #38

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
wrapping rope

In the northern hemisphere I like to wrap the rope right to left. In the southern hemisphere I do the opposite and wrap it left to right.
Priceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #39

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
Iím always open to peoplesí opinions When the see how I rig and definitely take ideas for improvements. I approach most things in life including rafting from the perspective that if Iím always right and my ways the best, Iím surrounding myself with people dumber than me.

I just havenít found anyway or anyone to show me a setup I like better than what I currently have. When I find it or itís shown to me, Iíll change to that.

Amen!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #40

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
“In the northern hemisphere I like to wrap the rope right to left. In the southern hemisphere I do the opposite and wrap it left to right.”

Revolutionary!!
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote