What is best way to wrap rope around exterior of raft? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 1 Week Ago   #11

Calgary, Alberta
The strapworks website has been a shadow of it's former self for a while now... I assumed they went out of business?

cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #12

Sandpoint, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2015
strapworks.com looks great and works perfectly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupido76 View Post
The strapworks website has been a shadow of it's former self for a while now... I assumed they went out of business?
Well you know what they say about assumptions: they make you look stupid and lazy. Still based out of Eugene, OR and still the best place to get all things rigging. If strapworks doesn't sell it stiches n stuff does.

https://www.strapworks.com/ProductDe...oductCode=2CAM
ozzmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzmith View Post
Well you know what they say about assumptions: they make you look stupid and lazy. Still based out of Eugene, OR and still the best place to get all things rigging. If strapworks doesn't sell it stiches n stuff does.

Haha... wasn't an assumption, I went to the website and everything was empty links... but thanks for that link... I'll check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6 Days Ago   #14
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzmith View Post

I guess I forgot to post the link. Thanks. Not sure cupido, I go on there all the time and the code seems to be older than Mtn Buzz code but it works for me. Maybe that is some new 'tariff'...not having access to the good stuff. If so I apologize on behalf of my country.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #15

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
I guess I forgot to post the link. Thanks. Not sure cupido, I go on there all the time and the code seems to be older than Mtn Buzz code but it works for me. Maybe that is some new 'tariff'...not having access to the good stuff. If so I apologize on behalf of my country.
Lol... apology accepted.

I don't recall needing a code to shop there when I've made purchases in the past and the website had a totally different feel.

Do they still sell straps and I need some code to see them on the site? I'm in the market for more straps right now.

Edit: it seems to be a mobile device issue. The site looks weird on my phone and none of the categories go anywhere, even when I tell my phone to display the desktop site. But on my laptop the site is normal. Weird.
Old 6 Days Ago   #16

Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Will tubular webbing work in it?
fredritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #17

Arnold, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Webbing when wet lengthens.
Nylon (webbing) lengthens when wet. Polyester (webbing) not so much. Most climbing webbing is nylon however the afore mentioned Strapworks does sell polyester webbing.
Old 2 Days Ago   #18

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
One great piece of advice I got from Mtn Buzz on this subject is to avoid using Nylon rope or webbing, but to use Polypro based material instead. Nylon is very stretchy when wet.

Originally I used 1/2" nylon, tubular webbing and when it was dry it was tight as a drum, but when it got wet it would get more than a foot of slack in it. I switched to a braided poly 7/16" rope and have had great luck. Hardly any stretch when wet.

Another recommendation is don't tie the rope or webbing directly to the d-rings. feed it through them instead, tying the rope ends off to together, making a continous loop that moves freely through the d-rings. This comes into play if you ever pin or wrap your boat hard on a rock.

To un-wrap / un-pin it, tie a haul rope to the grab line to pull on. Since the grab line isn't tied directly to any single d-ring, it distributes force evenly to all the d-rings. This greatly reduces the risk of tearing a d-ring off your boat, especially if you're using a mechanical advantage system like a z-drag to pull with.

As for knots, I used a small bowline in one of the rope, then fed the other end through it, and tied a truckers hitch to snug it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShufflingCrew View Post
What is best way to wrap rope around exterior of raft for lifting/transporting raft, having swimmers be able to grab onto something etc? Please be specific (type of knot, how to get rope nice and tight, etc.)
Old 2 Days Ago   #19

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I have some counterpoints to Pine's excellent input. Just don't have time now to elaborate. So, don't run out now and rig a perimeter line without additional consideration.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #20

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I've never thought to put a z-drag on a perimeter line. I usually go to the frame and have it distribute the load to as many d-rings as possible. But I guess if you don't have a frame such as a paddle boat then Pine's recommendation makes total sense(and therefore possibly makes sense for a framed rig also).

Some people seem to prefer the suppleness of tubular webbing but for sure you have to take precautions to make it tight. When using tubular I thought to tie to each d-ring when wet was best therefore localizing potential slack/stretch to the distance between d-rings. Depending on the direction of pull, tying to each d-ring would distribute pulling forces to adjacent d-rings I thought.

Pine, do you tie to perimeter line using a Prusik?

I'd think that at most directions of pull the perimeter line if slung through through d-rings without knots at each ring or even a single tie off somewhere in the system would rotate until the tie point transfers to a d-ring thus focusing most of the load to one d-ring. Maybe not.

Someone needs to pull out a slide rule to figure this rocket science out. Probably in the end it boils down to personal preference with a few general guidelines. But what are those general guidelines? We can't even agree on the type of material to use?
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote