Westwater report - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-27-2017   #1

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
Westwater report

Nothing too exciting..., heads up that ranger station water is real silty.
The new ADA accessible picnic tables become booby traps in the dark, after a few beers.

Skeeters were moderate at the put in, black flies were nasty at big horn, be extra careful keeping food and beer spills under control.
Super cool watching the lizards shake their tails to distract a fly before they pounce on it.
Fire ban lifted, eagles and turkeys in abundance.

CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2017   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
My report on yesterday's, 8/27, Westwater trip. Just a day trip - two boats and seven people. We had big fun! Water was running around 3700 cfs and the water was actually reasonably clean. The water was brown running through GJ the day before so it must have moved on down river. The temp. was about 95 by the end of the day. We had no wind problems at all. The deer flies kept biting me on my ankle right as I was getting into a rapid. The only other boats we saw were at the launch and take out.

I thought the rapids were pretty good. Lower water doesn't mean it's easier. Funnel's tongue was narrower and steeper. Skull was....well, Skull. If you know how to run it there's no problem. Razor wasn't out of the water but not far under so watch out for it. The Room was FULL of dead wood.
The Sock-it-to-me waves were big, splashy, and fun.

It was a great day!
smhoeher is offline   Reply With Quote