Welfelt Fabrication Raft Frame (Mini Me / Mini Max) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 02-27-2015   #1

Monument, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Welfelt Fabrication Raft Frame (Mini Me / Mini Max)

Does anyone have any experience or reviews on the Welfelt Fabrication Raft Frame for both the Hyside Mini-Me and Mini-Max rafts?

SkySkiDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2015   #2

Bismarck, North Dakota
Paddling Since: 2012
How sturdy is it with no front cross bar?
sammyphsyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015   #3

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
John's Frames are bomb proof!

I posted this on a previous thread, hope this helps.

In response to oarframe, I think you need to see and experience John's frames in person. John and many others may share a different view of perfection. To quote Antoine de Saint-Exupery, "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." I have one of John's frames and use it regularly, around 30 to 50 times a year, to run all kinds of rivers. We run remote hike in runs like the Gunnison Gorge, and Black Canyon. We run extended multiday trips like Cataract, the Grand and the Dirty Devil. John has mastered his set up. He can load his boat with his kitchen, food for four for 6 days, a fire pan and wood, drinking water, his overnight gear, and all the other gear(safety/repair/first-aid) into his Hyside mini-me and not look overloaded. In fact every trip we go on where there is a big boat, for us that means bigger than 10.5 feet long, the rower of said raft generally is in awe of what John's frames can do. I have seen him convert around 20 big boaters into mini-mers. In fact Hyside has focused on his frame in the last catalog and according to them because of John's frames Delta CO is currently the World Capital for Mini-mes. His frames are also bomb proof, at 14 lbs he has found away to make them almost indestructible. I love my frame and he is currently building me one for my new mini-max. The best part of the frame is it is so collapsable that two people can carry the frame, the boat, the raft/fishing gear, and even overnight gear. We can be anywhere in only one load. But, they aren't for everyone. Which is good for me, because if everyone had one it would be much harder to get to rivers void of people.

On a side note, John used his frame and mini-me to do a 30 day self support (meaning he carried his own gear and food) down the grand at 40,000 cfs.
bmagtutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2015   #4

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmagtutu View Post
I posted this on a previous thread, hope this helps.

In response to oarframe, I think you need to see and experience John's frames in person. John and many others may share a different view of perfection. To quote Antoine de Saint-Exupery, "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." I have one of John's frames and use it regularly, around 30 to 50 times a year, to run all kinds of rivers. We run remote hike in runs like the Gunnison Gorge, and Black Canyon. We run extended multiday trips like Cataract, the Grand and the Dirty Devil. John has mastered his set up. He can load his boat with his kitchen, food for four for 6 days, a fire pan and wood, drinking water, his overnight gear, and all the other gear(safety/repair/first-aid) into his Hyside mini-me and not look overloaded. In fact every trip we go on where there is a big boat, for us that means bigger than 10.5 feet long, the rower of said raft generally is in awe of what John's frames can do. I have seen him convert around 20 big boaters into mini-mers. In fact Hyside has focused on his frame in the last catalog and according to them because of John's frames Delta CO is currently the World Capital for Mini-mes. His frames are also bomb proof, at 14 lbs he has found away to make them almost indestructible. I love my frame and he is currently building me one for my new mini-max. The best part of the frame is it is so collapsable that two people can carry the frame, the boat, the raft/fishing gear, and even overnight gear. We can be anywhere in only one load. But, they aren't for everyone. Which is good for me, because if everyone had one it would be much harder to get to rivers void of people.

On a side note, John used his frame and mini-me to do a 30 day self support (meaning he carried his own gear and food) down the grand at 40,000 cfs.
That response wasn't even remotely like an advertisement...not at all
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015   #5

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
No kick bar? Do you just pile the gear on floor?
Old 02-27-2015   #6

Western Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
What type of water will you be running? Day runs or overnights? I have owned one of John's frame for a year now and it is a great frame for my mini. I have not used it for multi day trips but know several people who have with no problems. The main advantage is the weight and very simple design. Have fished using it mostly. If you are interested in rowing one then just PM me. Always looking to get out. Spring run off is coming soon!
fourtyfloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
That is a lot of money for a little frame, that is close to the cost of the the frame for my 14'er.
Old 02-28-2015   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
As a person with a 10.5 footer, I would love to see John start a "light is right" thread.

This style may not be for everyone, but for those of us that wonder how he has packed for Grand trips, etc., it would be awesome to see his set up, i.e what bags he uses, food, stove, groover, fire-pan, etc.

Just my opinion, which isn't worth much.
mervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015   #9

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
I think there could be a forum for small boats and going light. Between the pack rafters, mini-round boaters and small cats there has to be a bunch of us out there. I started out with home made river running float tubes (before there were pack rafts) and did 16 day river trips in Alaska. We went backpack style and when I got a mini-me it seemed huge. Now most of our trips are semi-backpack style, all the comforts of a big boat and the size and weight of a small boat. Nice for those rivers that have not the best put in or take out.
John the welder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015   #10

Golden, Colorado
Mini and now puma frame

Hopefully the video attached from GAuley Fest two years ago with the frame on the puma. The year before I had it on the mini me I felt like a giant in the boat.
Attached Files
gobigohome is offline   Reply With Quote