Wasps/Rapid changes Main Salmon? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-03-2017   #1

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1982
Wasps/Rapid changes Main Salmon?

Anyone who has been down the Main Salmon this season care to weigh in on wasp problems ... or channel changes from this recent big winter. I have been on the river when there are absolutely no insects ... and other times when the wasps were a force to be contended with, every camp. Thanks!

dragonstooth is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2017   #2

Shingle Springs, California
Paddling Since: 1992
We took off on Saturday and did not have any wasp issues (Not a single bite). There were a few around, but nothing that I would even count. It was great compared to the wasp hell that we had four years ago. To the best of my memory the rapids also all looked the same also.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Got off a few days ago. Most of the camps we stayed at had Yellow Jackets but only a few and none of them were aggressive. One lady on my trip said she got stung, but I'm not sure it was bad and she didn't seem to be in too much pain. They will congregate around meat products and the trash, but as long as you don't bug them too much it won't be a problem.

Not sure on rapid changes since it was my first time down. Black Creek changes often, but was a pretty straight forward run. My trip ran it down the left side, but we saw other groups run the right side with no problem too. The rest of the rapids were pretty straightforward and the descriptions in the guide books were pretty spot on.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2017   #4

Boise, Idaho
Just got off the main yesterday. Yellow jackets were non-existent except for Ruff creek. But we also had a small group and stayed in unnammed camps all but that one night - that tends to cut down on the likelihood of running into them.

Black canyon appears to have shifted again. Not sure if it was just the difference in flows (+1.5 vs. -1 last year and 0 the year before) but there is a bigger hole now about two waves into the the main wave train on the typical left run. Easy to punch through with momentum but when we hit it my kids in the front of the boat went airborne for a moment. Line up properly and its a non-issue.

The forest service is preparing the wind river pack bridge for the fire up that drainage right above Carey Creek. Sprinklers are up and fire fighters were headed up the trail yesterday.
Andersbr is offline   Reply With Quote