Visiting Salmon Idaho 2019 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Visiting Salmon Idaho 2019

It is officially permit season for the main salmon now and I try and put a little something together for people that are passing through Salmon. I have seen a few too many people with soul crushing looks on their face in the parking lot of a closed grocery store on Sunday.

Groceries
Your main option is going to be Saveway market, open 6:30 until 10pm in the summer but closed on Sunday. They have the best block ice in town and they do have dry ice.
If your are coming into salmon on 28 there is the amish country store that is pretty good “closed Sundays”. They also have really good sandwiches and anything pickled you could imagine.
In a pinch you can get some groceries at service grocery “kind of scary”, the corner store, and discounts unlimited. Every year I run into some poor group that is looking to try and buy last minute veggies on a Sunday. It can be tough here in Salmon.
The bakery here is really good, I cannot recommend their 80 mile bread enough. The good stuff does go pretty fast so be early or call ahead. They also have really good pastries.
There is a farmers market on Saturday mornings next to the bear by the river until noon during the summer.

Propane
Murdoch’s is my new go to for propane fills. They will fill your composite tanks without any troubles. Other options for propane fills are the Phillips 66 at the light or buddys. These two are hit and miss as they don’t always have an extra person to run the till while someone fills the tank. I the village at north fork does fills also.

Fishing license
If you want to get a last minute fishing license you can go to fish and game, hwy 93 sports, corner store “open until 11pm I think”, or the village at north fork.

Invasive species sticker
93 sporting goods, Idaho adventures, and the village at northfork

ICE
As stated above best ice is Saveway, also carry dry ice.

Liquor
There is a liquor store in salmon just off Main Street near the grocery store. Also The village at north fork does carry some liquor.

Canned Beer
The grocery store has a pretty good selection. The corner store has a good variety as well along with some canned cocktails like bloody mary’s, G&T’s and what not. The village at north fork has really upped their game and has maybe the best variety.

Lodging
The most popular seems to be the Stagecoach Inn by a long shot. Next I would say the super 8 then maybe the bear country in. These are all close to down town and the river. There are some less traditional routes that you can take. The syringe lodge is very popular and books up pretty fast. I have very little personal experience with most of these places as I live here

Breakfast
Bertrams brewery is a pretty good breakfast spot although it can be really slow, other options that are more like a diner are buddy’s and the red dog dinner which is pretty small if you have a large group.
River city baking makes great to go breakfast burritos for $4.50, they are across the street from buddys gas station. You may call ahead if you have a large order. They also make to go lunches with really good sandwiches.
The pork peddler does a brunch that starts at 9am and is pretty popular with outdoor seating.
There is a food truck called mad flatters that is open a couple days a week they have really good breakfast burritos made with African flatbread. They are parked in front of mountain west realty on main street or in the parking lot of the stagecoach. They have also been setting up at the farmers market on Saturday mornings

Coffee
We have 2 coffee places in town, paradise brews and rise and shine. I don’t get coffee a lot but I usually hit up Rise and Shine. They also have to go breakfast burritos.

Lunch and dinner
My personal favorite place to eat in town is the junkyard bistro. The bistro is open until 11pm and has outdoor seating.
I feel that Bertrams brewery has fallen off lately and is not what it used to be. It can be pretty busy and be really slow sometimes. If you are in a hurry this is not your best option. If you like a monte cristo this place is for you.
The pork peddler is nice little BBQ place that has a lot of outdoor seating. As far as a place that has that river community feel to it, this is it. They also have one of the better beer selections in town and trivia on Wednesday night.
Salmon has a couple of good pizza places. We go to last chance or Dave’s pizza. I would say last chance has better topping but can be a little bit greasier. There is a wood fired pizza truck called ponderosa pies that is open a couple days a week. It parks in the old mcphersons parking lot on main street.
If you want a burger and fries and shake or other quick diner/ grill food I highly recommend the savage grill.
Some people like the shady nook but I think it’s over priced for what it is. It was pretty good 6 years ago when I moved here but feel the quality has declined.
Mad flatters is African flatbread burrito food truck that parks behind a bar called the Owl on Tuesday nights. They are really good.

Fast Food
Burger king, subway, and taco grande are your three options here.
Food once you leave salmon
the village at north fork no longer has hot food. They still have ice cream, also the rams head way down river is now open and have a great burger and milkshake closed Monday and tueday..

Last minute rafting gear
Surprisingly you are somewhat limited here. The Salmon River fly box does carry some dry bags cam straps and smaller accessories. They are also a wealth of knowledge for fishing in the area. Murdochs, ace hardware and hwy 93 sports have a few life jackets and dry bags. It has been a while since I have been in Blackadar boating but they did have a few bigger raft accessories last time I was in there.
If you need some river clothing I would look at Arfmanns 4 seasons and The village at north fork. The village at north fork also has some footwear and random river gear.
You can rent or buy some gear from Idaho adventures that is just across the bridge by the stagecoach. I have not been in there for a while and guy who used to run it took over the middle fork lodge.

Other stuff to do
If you have a few extra days in town we have a great day stretch down river. Put in at spring creek take out at cove creek. You can really float wherever you want, there are 30 boat ramps between challis and corn creek. We have some great mountain biking in the area and you can rent a bike from the HUB. Their website has a link to the trails in the area. There are several high mountain lakes, hot springs, hiking, and camping opportunities.

codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Colorado, Colorado
Great info, thank you very much for taking the time to put that together. I know it will definitely help me when in the area for my MS permit in August! Thanks again!!!

In fact, this should be stickied!
AzPackrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Thank you so much! Will be there in late July and this was just what I needed to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

salmon, Idaho
I have been asked about potable water in the past and forgot to list it.. so places to get water leaving salmon to corn creek... wagon hammer springs, newland ranch "scat machine site", spring creek campground, ebenezer campground, corn creek campground.

I try and build off of this and post it every year. So if you have any further questions or things i may have overlooked let me know.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Thanks

Thanks for the recommendations. Stopped at Murdoch's for propane last year. They are reliable, fast and efficient. Stumbled by chance on Odd Fellows and loved their bread. It's the real deal; full of flavor.
cmharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

salmon, Idaho
Odd fellows bakery is the real deal for sure.. not just for a town of 3,000 but anywhere. They also do a lot for the river community and are a big sponsor for the salmon whitewater park..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Ft jones, United States
Paddling Since: 1985
Salmon is one of my favorite towns! Spend as much time there as I can, coming and going from river trips.

I'll also give props to Odd Fellows.
Just about the best breakfast sammiches I've had ANYWHERE!

Ben
BenSlaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
WATER - the best water you can get out near Salmon is at Wagon Hammer Springs - 2 miles upriver from North Fork, across from the RV park by the same name. It's cold and fresh all summer long - easy to blow past it, but worth the stop to fill jugs and/water bottles. Bathrooms there are decent too.

BAKERY - I'll second Odd Fellows - stopped there a couple mornings last summer after reading Cody's write-up and it's great.

BATHROOMS - skip the crowds at North Fork and stop at either Wagon Hammer Springs or at the SCAT machine just downriver from North Fork.

NO PERMIT? - as Cody says, no shortage of river or access points for the Salmon, and never any crowds on the local runs. It's a great place to spend a week during the summer.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Excellent info!

Nice write up, super helpful.
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Thank you! We recovered from the bell pepper incident on Saturday based on this 🙂. Really appreciate the info.
kayakingkate is online now   Reply With Quote

« Dry Ice Question | - »