Vintage River Footage and/or Photos - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-25-2014   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Vintage River Footage and/or Photos

Hell All,

I have been searching around and found the river video by Western Expeditions titled Run The Wild River It is definitely worth the watch. I am wondering if anybody can direct me to more stuff like this. Maybe a thread about vintage floating would fun to watch.

Here's the link for the youtube post of this movie

tda
slc

tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2014   #2

4CRS, Durango, Colorado
I have a box full of old VHS tapes with a bunch of old paddling footage and movies from the 80's and 90's that I am never gonna do anything with. If anyone wants to convert them to digital I would be happy to send them out, there are some classics and some that are raw footage from places like the Bio Bio (now damned and underwater) and Alaska. I don't want to send them out if you're not going to convert them though. If somebody's interested in a project let me know, I'll pick up the shipping.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014   #3

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
There's not tons of really old footage in this, but some....I think most is 94ish. Still an awesome vid:

Cheat River by Rick Gusic & Scott Patton - YouTube

K2andcannoli posted a youtube vid not long ago "token of my extreme" again early 90's but still really awesome vid.

Also a doc on netflix I liked from the late 60's (I think) is "High Wild and Free". It's a really neat documentary from a sportsmen's perspective in the Rockies and Canadian Rockies...only a little river running...but there's fishing and hunting and it's pretty cool.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2014   #4

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
See the Arkansas River Race 1949 on YouTube.
Vonrosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014   #5
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
A film called "messing about in boats" has a lot of very old film from Georgie White's early days and does a good job of telling the history of Grand Canyon rafting. I thought it was on YouTube but can't find it now. It's around, you just have to hunt for it.

Also, I have some pretty good for (Super films from the 70's, mainly of Dolores. Including my most embarrassing "how not to run Snaggletooth" clip that I posted around here somewhere.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014   #6

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
"Messing about in boats' is great! I have it on tape but should convert it to digital.

Don Briggs has some stuff as well - River Runners of the Colorado — Don Briggs Films & Photography

Here is a link from the NAU website. Scroll down for and there are some old videos.

http://archive.library.nau.edu/cdm/s.../2/display/200

Wild river, 1954. :: Colorado Plateau Archives
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014   #7

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
A film called "messing about in boats" has a lot of very old film from Georgie White's early days and does a good job of telling the history of Grand Canyon rafting...
This sounds like the same film I've seen titled "River Runners of the Grand Canyon" and available on DVD from the GCPBA store:

http://gcpba.org/store-2/#!/River-Ru...tegory=3967216
jge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014   #8

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014   #9

Montrose, Colorado
By far one of the best overall historical whitewater compilations is a DVD entitled "The Call of the River". It is a 90minute history of everything from 1923 to 2009 in the archives of river running. I bought my copy at Fibark in 2010, but it is still available at www.performancevideo.com. Just a fantastic video!!
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
These are great suggestions. I am excited to log some couch time watching these. I will continue to research more footage and post them when I see them.

Thank you all,

tda
slc
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote