VIDEO: Cataract Canyon 41K Paddleboat - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-16-2015   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1989
VIDEO: Cataract Canyon 41K Paddleboat

Video from our 2nd Cat trip this year. First one was 27K in a 14' paddleboat. This video was taken on 6/20/15 with the water at 41K and we were in a 15' NRS Cheyenne. Thing performed like a champ.

Level was 41K and lots of fun. We took a run at Froggies in the paddleboat and got through... luckily. Both of our Oar boats flipped in BD 2. One in the Claw and the other on the ledge wave.

Waterhole is awesome. Big wave trains with poppy waves.

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/yJaXPqFotS8

TUNACAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Gotta love cataract in the 25-40 range. Its BIIIIIG!! Nice work. I was thinking that the video wasn't doing the size of things in there justice until the bottom of BD2. You start to get an idea of how big the waves are from there on, though you still have to have been there at those levels to really appreciate the video. Always hate to see videos that dumb down the size and give people a false idea of just how big things are. Awhile back I saw a post on here where a guy said he looks at videos and thinks that is always x10 in real life. I dont think thats far off.
Old 07-16-2015   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
Gotta love cataract in the 25-40 range. Its BIIIIIG!! Nice work. I was thinking that the video wasn't doing the size of things in there justice until the bottom of BD2. You start to get an idea of how big the waves are from there on, though you still have to have been there at those levels to really appreciate the video. Always hate to see videos that dumb down the size and give people a false idea of just how big things are. Awhile back I saw a post on here where a guy said he looks at videos and thinks that is always x10 in real life. I dont think thats far off.
SO true, I always feel a bit disappointed when you come back and look at the video. I just remind myself that there were multiple times we were standing the entire 15' boat straight up and moving upward for a while so some of those waves are easily more than 20'. Waterhole was awesome, but the video doesn't do it justice.

In terms of the paddleboat i'm curious what others do as a captain. I always like to sit on one of the sides toward the back with my foot up against/under the back thwart. This gives me the ability to sit far enough back so I can easily turn the boat but also the ability to jam my foot under a thwart so I don't get thrown all over the place.

I love the E-140 - What we did Cat in at 27K, it fits just right because you can get a good foot under the last thwart and still be basically at the back of the boat. The diminishing tubes of the cheyenne mean the back of the boat is quite far from the final thwart - so harder to do a quick correction to square up to the big waves. Anyone else have an issue finding somewhere to jam their foot to help them stay in the boat when paddle captaining? If so, what's your solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

Footcones. I grew up paddling boats without them and always got thrown around and stuffed under thwarts. Footcones are a world different.
Old 07-17-2015   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Very Nice. I guided down there for a while but never took a paddleboat down at that level. Looks like you found the only spot you could have gotten through without flipping in Big Drop 3
bigwatergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #6

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Fun stuff... I really need to go run Cataract. How many days were you on it?

DanCan
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post
Fun stuff... I really need to go run Cataract. How many days were you on it?

DanCan
Join us! We try to hit high water every year!

We usually do it in 3 days (4 if we want to do a bunch of hiking).

This trip we had some people that couldn't take Friday off work so we rolled two boats and put them in the bottom of my E160, stacked an extra frame on top as well as an extra cooler and dry box and motored to the confluence with one boat and 3 people. (Made for a quick motor - with hiking/lunch we were there in 7 hours).

The rest jumped on Tex's riverways downstream shuttle with drybags and lifejackets on Saturday morning and met us at Spanish bottom at 10am.

Saturday - Rapids

Sunday - off the lake (typically to take-out by 1pm with high water).
Old 07-17-2015   #8
Sponsoring Vendors

That is an aggressive schedule. Doable with 30k+, but aggressive none the less. Solid work.
Old 07-17-2015   #9

cedar city, Utah
I have only been down there once at 40k+ and that line in Froggies is huge. Was running swamp on a commercial J-rig (Potash to Halls Crossing in 1 day, talk about long fay). I remember the exact moment we stalled and surfed for a second in that feature with one 75 horsepower motor going. The commercial peeps had no clue but when I looked back at the motor guide his expression told me everything I needed to know. The video does better than most but that feature is HUGE.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
I haven't ever run Froggies at that level before, but I watched NAVTEC completely stop their sportboats in there last year at 45K and had to give it a go. Luckily, we were a bit right of the meat. 3 feet to the left and we would have flipped for sure!

Tags
big drop 2, cataract, paddleboat