Verde river and AZ beta - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-17-2013   #1

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Verde river and AZ beta

I am looking for information on the verde river in AZ. I want to find one day sections of river to run with easy access. I am not familiar with this river, and was told of a short day section with good access at a white bridge and take out at beasly? i might be off here can anyone help me with this?

I am looking for easy class 2, 3- tops, and also the class 3-4 section, we cant overnight it, and dont want to take the class 2 paddlers on any hard sections, thoughts?

we will be there march 23-27th, hoping to get oak creek as well, I am some what familiar with oak creek, but any new info is apreciated.

also, how do the sections run together? We have a group of 4, 2 class 2-3 boaters and 2 class 3-4 boaters, and also CAMPING, can anyone give me info on free, primitive camping in the area?

We are driving 16hrs from co to az. and will need to make camp for a day or 2 when we arive. we plan on leaving at 3 am bouncing in to camp verde area by 6pm hopefully, any thoughts or advice?

pm's or replies welcome, thanks in advance.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013   #2

ebbing, flowing..., CO, NM
Paddling Since: 1985
So yeah, there are a couple of day options above Beasley Flats with easy access including White Bridge and Clear Creek.

The Beasley to Childs section will be fine for intermediate boaters, Verde Falls is the biggest rapid, but there is plenty of safe recovery pool after it if there is carnage. The main thing about the Verde is TREES. Be strainer aware and know that you will have lots of trees to deal with. We just ran it a few weeks ago at 1,400 cfs & the trees of death situation was a little sketch ball with the high water! But with flows being more normal for your trip (200-300) you should be fine, just keep a heads up. Also, the road to the Childs takeout is looong & heinous & kills trailers if you are not careful... just fyi. Go to this link for info & to download a fantastic map from Beasley down!

As far as the Oak Creek goes, good luck with the flows... it flashed HUGE right before we got there & was back down to about 50cfs by the time we got to it. It Could be running in the end of March, Flagstaff has gotten some decent snow this winter, so you might get lucky on it!

Camping! There is LOTS of free Forest Service camping just outside of Sedona. Take I17 South from Flag to exit 298, HWY179. You can either turn left from the exit and are immediately on dirt FS roads, or turn right & head closer into Sedona & take your pick of dirt FS roads all along the HWY there. In the morning, Camp Verde is just a quick 15-20 min jaunt from there!

Also, if you are making the trek all the way out from CO, I would recommend hitting up the Salt while your at it! It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Camp Verde, And Totally Worth It! You can camp & just run the class III day section, and I Highly Recommend It! You just have to pay an Apache permit, but it's not much & there are little self pay envalopes right there.

Anyways, I hope some of this info helps. Feel free to bombard me with any other questions you might have, & have an Awesome trip!!!
Old 02-17-2013   #3

ug, apparently my link didn't work. Trying again... Verde River Info & Map
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013   #4

BTW, I have a Verde Map for above Beasley, but I can't seem to find it, or figure out where I got it from... though I know it is a FS map, I just can't find that link. As far as the day stretches go, I haven't used White Bridge, so I don't know what the access is like, but the Clear Creek access is super easy, & it's a short float, but also a short shuttle, & can easily be a looong afternoon at low water with high winds (there really isn't much in the way of moving current...) But it is Lovely! You will see a brown FS sign saying "Clear Creek," on the Beasley Flats Road (though the turn off from hwy 260 is like "salt Mine Rd" or something like that, but it turns into Beasley Flats Rd.) There is a parking lot there, & you can just walk hard boats down, or if you've got more to rig (raft or what not) you can drive around & down, it just takes a minute to figure out. If you put in at White Bridge, this might be a good takeout too if it turns into too long of a day... Also, just so you know there is no camping at Beasley. And though there is FS around Camp Verde, I (personally) prefer camping closer to Sedona... it's just nicer, & really not that far... Anyways, I'll see if I can figure out that other map for you...
Old 02-17-2013   #5

x, x
Paddling Since: x
thank you very much, that is what i'm looking for. i appreciate the camping options and will be doing so. We are excited to go down there, it is a beautiful area.

I hope to catch the flow window this time, for oak, and the verde.

thank you
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013   #6

No problem! Like I said, feel free to ask if you think of any other questions! You might luck out on Oak Creek flows... but the Verde will be low, it blew it's load already, it has a much lower water shed than Oak Creek & the Salt. They all flash flooded a few weeks ago, the Salt & Oak Creek still have good snow pack & will run again, but the Verde is done. That's why we made a mad dash out there to catch it! It peaked at 12,000 cfs (yup, 12,000 holey scary batman!) We caught it on the down side at about 1,400 cfs Jan 31 put in, & took out at about 800 cfs Feb 2, & it was Awesome!!! Don't worry though, it will still be a great run at 200-300 cfs, that's more normal flows, and the trees won't be as terrifying! I really do highly recommend hitting up the Salt day stretch while your in that neck of the woods, & it will be flowing then. Whatever you end up running, Have a Blast!!!
Old 02-17-2013   #7

Here is a picture of Verde Falls Feb. 1, 2013 about 1,200 cfs!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130131_0078.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	5610  
Old 02-17-2013   #8

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
The various put-in options above Beasley Flats are near flat water and scenic, although you will be floating past homes and ranches. There are a few brushy turns here and there and cobble bars, but should be no problem for beginners unless you arrive to high water. Beasley down is beautiful and totally undeveloped with a good many fun rapids. I think 250 is the bottom end of totally worth it fun, but it goes much lower. Childs is not the typical day trip takeout however. Gap Creek is the much more common take out due to the shorter shuttle (1 hr round trip from Beasley). This run is about 1/2 the length of the run to Childs, but contains 90% of the named rapids. It does require about 1/2 mile walk up an easy trail to the parking area.

If you've never been I'd say go all the way to Childs because it's beautiful and there is a hot spring right above the takeout. Be aware that it is a very long day on the water to get down there at low water so Gap might be more realistic depending on how much time you have. Good luck catching Oak Creek or any of the countless other beautiful runs in the area, spring boating usually ends in February- Unless you're on the Verde, Salt, or GC...
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013   #9

Bisters, Oregon
Camping

Perfect weekend at the Verde requires an overnight on the water. If you're willing to stop and scout, class II boaters will be just fine from Beasley to Childs. At most flows lining a ducky down the left is "easy."

Day 1: Drive your ass off and leave a vehicle at Childs with car camping setup & icey colds for the hot springs. Return to Camp Verde and head on down to Beasley to crash out.

Day 2: Put in and enjoy! A telephone line crosses the river at Gap Creek where a ranch house is visible on a hill above, river right. This is half wayish. Find a sweet place to stay and continue to enjoy.

Day 3: When you find the concrete foundation & palm trees of the old gangster resort on river right you're just above the hot spring. Enjoy. Your take out is not far downstream on the left.

If in doubt and it looks like the river disappears into the willows, go right. May not always work, but low water on the verde is Class Tree...
Old 02-17-2013   #10

Bisters, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverMamma View Post
No problem! Like I said, feel free to ask if you think of any other questions! You might luck out on Oak Creek flows... but the Verde will be low, it blew it's load already, it has a much lower water shed than Oak Creek & the Salt. They all flash flooded a few weeks ago, the Salt & Oak Creek still have good snow pack & will run again, but the Verde is done. That's why we made a mad dash out there to catch it! It peaked at 12,000 cfs (yup, 12,000 holey scary batman!) We caught it on the down side at about 1,400 cfs Jan 31 put in, & took out at about 800 cfs Feb 2, & it was Awesome!!! Don't worry though, it will still be a great run at 200-300 cfs, that's more normal flows, and the trees won't be as terrifying! I really do highly recommend hitting up the Salt day stretch while your in that neck of the woods, & it will be flowing then. Whatever you end up running, Have a Blast!!!
Verde might be done for rafting, but if Oak Creek is runnable, so is the Verde. I've been on the Verde at 10ish k and it's not as bad as you might think. Not that I'd take an oar boat down there, dang! Respect. The Verde hit 60k twice within a month one winter some years back, now that'll scare batman...