Using Firearms on the Upper C? - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
Kyle

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2018
Using Firearms on the Upper C?

If I was to bring a handgun to play around with away from camp, is this acceptable?

Only thing I could find online is that it is "recommended that no firearms be discharged within 0.25 miles of either side of the Colorado River between the headwaters and State Bridge, unless in the lawful pursuit of hunting game during a valid hunting season."

That obviously states that we can shoot .25 miles away from camp, but being on the river I'm not sure I'd want to hear gun shots echoing if I wasn't the shooter. It's obviously fully legal on BLM land, but I don't want to disturb anyone else's peace and quiet. Has anyone hiked from camp on the Upper C to shoot? Experience?

phunkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkfan View Post
I'm not sure I'd want to hear gun shots echoing if I wasn't the shooter.
I think you answered your own question there...

Also to quote jurrasic park "you were so preoccupied with whether or not you could, you didn’t stop to think if they should."
mcfarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I call that "nefarious" activity!
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Eagle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
I call that "nefarious" activity!
Ditto! Plenty of ranges in the valley where its safe to shoot.
Nubie Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Concur. Stop at the range on hwy 9 or any other range. Upper C has enough debauchery as it is.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Well it depends, on what your going to shoot at. Camper's without groove's, shitting in the campsites, one's that leave smoldering campfires unattended or ones that leave trash and garbage all over, boaters driving a Saturn raft wearing a pair of 800$ Ray-Band sunglasses that cost more than their boat are probably all fair game. Other than that, if you want to just plunk get a pellet gun. It's all fun and games till someone loses an ice cold beer to a gun shot.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Hey Kyle,
Thank you for having the decency to ask!
I’m pretty good not hearing shooting on the upper C, either.
I’d say keep er packed up in a dry bag for the meth heads from Craig, that wander down to the river in the off season. One or two may think twice if they know they may become shot... or they won’t, and become shot...

Was always a fan of spending the cheap ammo with my pellet gun, growing up. Makes you a dam good shot. Quite, and cheap.
Careful in Grand County though, our swat team got called on someone with BB guns this past year, makes me paranoid to shoot ANYTHING outside of a range.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Enough lead in the environment already Raymo. Pellet guns may be quieter but they are just another mechanism to spew lead, lead with antimony even worse.
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
Kyle

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2018
Thanks guys. I think I knew the answer when I was typing it, but I guess I just needed to see it on paper to know haha.

I'll keep it off the river!!
phunkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Enough lead in the environment already Raymo. Pellet guns may be quieter but they are just another mechanism to spew lead, lead with antimony even worse.
Wait, I think it would be fine to shoot em in the ass with a pellet gun, just make sure you pick it up in case ya miss