Used Hyside 16' for 2,250? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-28-2017   #1

Provo, Utah
Used Hyside 16' for 2,250?

I saw an add near me (from a rafting company in Moab Utah) list a 16' Hyside for 2,250. It seems to be in pretty decent shape to me. Is that a good deal? I am looking for a first raft (though I have extensive experience in IK's) and was mainly looking at 12' rafts such as the Hyside max 12 and Aire Puma/Super Puma. I was originally planning on buying a new raft but this add intrigues me.

https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/50435050

djolsen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2017   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Depending on the age and wear on the boat that could be a great deal. A couple of thoughts:

1) Make sure you carefully inspect the boat for leaks and wear & have them inflate it and make sure none of the baffles are blown before buying,
2) Have them remove or paint over the outfitter logo before you receive the boat.

Good luck,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017   #3

Provo, Utah
It’s a 2013, and it does look like it’s been used but it doesn’t look too bad either. Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2017   #4

Provo, Utah
Also, Is that too big of a raft to paddle for 4 people? I would be mainly using it for multi-day trips for 2-4 people (we pack super light though) and I really do not want to invest in a big frame and oar set. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 11-29-2017   #5

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Go for it!!!

It's winter time, that and the other two are a good deal check the baffling, kick the tires and load it in your vehicle. Those boats are some pretty serious river gear. I would not be surprised if someone shows up with five grand and drives away with all three. I have done that twice, bought three to four boats at one time durning winter months built them up, used them for years and instructing friends and family how to raft. Put together great trips for lots of good memories. Never lost a penny on those rigs, but never made a penny eather. Have fun.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
It's a pretty big boat as a paddle boat for 4 but you could do it. You could probably do it with just 2 people as well, but it's a huge boat for 2. You could support 4 people packing light for a week or two pretty easily with that boat.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
If your looking for a raft for 2 people i would avoid this you can get a brand new 10 ft Rocky Mountain for 1800 and the 12 is 2300. A 16 foot paddle raft in the head wind of the Moab daily or westwater would be miserable with 2 or 4 people.
Riverlaxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017   #8
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If I wasn't broker en shit as usual, I would be showing up to check it out.
Doable for 4 people, to big for 2 as a paddle boat. Add an oar frame, and it would be fine for 1-or 2. Definitely think about what stretches you want to run, will be fine for a lot of stretches, unless you want to use it for some small stuff. Perfect size for a lot of rivers in the Moab and Green river proximity.
Old 11-29-2017   #9

Provo, Utah
Thanks for all of the advice! I’m pretty much looking at most anything below $3000, as I am a relatively poor college student haha. And I’d usually have more than two people, but if the boat was best for two I’d throw extra people in my IK. I’m probably going to pass that Hyside up but I was intrigued by the size given my price point. I’m still thinking a new Super Puma is the way I’ll end up going. That should still be big enough for 2-4, no? And most of my use will be on the green river (especially Desolation Canyon).
Old 11-29-2017   #10

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by djolsen13 View Post
I am looking for a first raft (though I have extensive experience in IK's) and was mainly looking at 12' rafts such as the Hyside max 12 and Aire Puma/Super Puma.
Outdoorplay has new Tributary 12' rafts on sale for $1911.65, including two thwarts, free shipping, and no tax. New boat, Aire customer service backing it, and the right size for what you said you're looking for.
Super Pumas are great, but spendier.
briandburns is online now   Reply With Quote