Upper Coloado raft/fishing trip advice needed - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 04-04-2015   #1

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Upper Coloado raft/fishing trip advice needed

This coming Tuesday would like to do a 5 or 6 hour float/fishing trip on the Upper C. Probably put in at Pumphouse. Any advice on where to take out, if the river is running clear, fishing this time of year? Thank you.

Dakota7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2015   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Rancho Del Rio - Not Your Usual Resort

Lots of info for your trip.
Old 04-04-2015   #3

Denver, Colorado
Pump to Radium is a good float for the time frame.

I was there a few weeks ago and it was already off color. Most likely, it's worse but I can't say for sure. I'd guess you'll be fishing chocolate milk. Let me know how it goes.
BReds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2015   #4
FISHTARD

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BReds View Post
Pump to Radium is a good float for the time frame.

I was there a few weeks ago and it was already off color. Most likely, it's worse but I can't say for sure. I'd guess you'll be fishing chocolate milk. Let me know how it goes.
Its not as bad as you think but definitely getting there. We found most fish right on the bank (duh) including a couple nice rainbows. The Rancho website is a good one. Although if you dont SERIOUSLY take your time from Pumphouse to Radium it could only last a couple hours and youll be considering another lap

Rancho to (float past statebridge) Two Bridges is a nice fishing float and can take 6 hours if you slow it down and relax alot.

I spend most of my time between PUmphouse ad Radium and Rancho and Statebridge, but depending on your skills, the Eagle runs at 300
Old 04-06-2015   #5

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
A friend told me that the wind was brutal on the "lake" above rancho
whiskey_river is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I ran Pumphouse to Rancho Saturday. The wind was brutal. Fishing was fair. Water clarity was actually really good, but that section of river changes color so fast, so that is probably gonna vary day to day, hour by hour, section by section. It gets a little cloudier below Radium, but it was still good Saturday It took about 6 hours with the wind and we didn't milk too many holes. Mostly threw streamers, but had a few takes on golden stones and Rs2's. A lot of midges coming off when the wind died down in the evening. It is only going to get better from here, things seem to be heating up. Fish the warmer part of the day and you'll do well.
Old 04-09-2015   #7

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Thanks for your replies. We ran Pump House to Rancho Tuesday. Water clearer than we expected. Adequate flows. Wind was a nightmare for 75% of the trip.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Dakota7 is offline   Reply With Quote