Upper C bug report? - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Upper C bug report?

Thinking of taking some kids down monday for an overnight does anyone know about the bugs? Thanks

mdt67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I was there a little over a week ago. Two point seven five on a scale of ten but I've worked in both Canada and Alaska.

I'm type "O" blood and warm skinned. If anyone in your group is likewise they will suffer somewhat. Deet was required for me but it is not like every second is swatting at them.

I recommend when you retreat to the tent that you do a purge of vermin, that is, zip up and seek them our with your flashlight and kill without mercy, otherwise, they will do the same. Especially get the nasty gnats at the top of the tent.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Grand Lake, Colorado
I was there a couple of days ago. The Deer flys were bad. Had the girls hiding under blankets.
Riverratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Yes, the Deer Fly attack on shore and mid-river. They are the ones with black bands on the wings. Fortunately, they are stupid and give you sufficient time to respond, usually.

Please get Riverratton to elaborate on his defensive tactics for his small sized crew. Specifically, if he went back what would he do?
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Grand Lake, Colorado
Geo Ron is right them Deer flys are stupid and easy to wack. But while rowing they were persistent I wasn't prepared and only had some Backwoods Off. What saved my kids is they were dressed head to toe, so not much exposed skin.
Riverratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Thanks for the info. Might just hold off for a bit instead of feeding the kids to the bugs. I have been down during the peak deer fly hatch and camping was no fun!
mdt67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I was out yesterday and took and extended lunch at Bench 2's beach with almost no issues. A few flies here and there but pretty light.
Managan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
mosquitos are bad right now. my friends got bit a ton this weekend. if youre up from the water it seems to be fine.
p.naught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
The bugs weren't bad at the beginning of last week. The Racoons were reallyb ad at Pumphouse. PLEASE keep a clean camp for you and the next group camping there.
B.A.R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote