Twickenham to Clarno - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-23-2017   #1

Boise, Idaho
Twickenham to Clarno

We are doing this short John Day section this weekend with some young ones and was wondering if anyone had any links to gps coordinates for campsites/rapids/etc. I know it's going to be packed so we probably won't get any good sites, but any advice would be appreciated. I've heard there's not much camping for the last 10 miles.

Also, as a side question, are there any take out areas just after Clarno? Would love to drop the kids off and run the Clarno rapid if possible. We'll have a Super Puma with us so we could carry it for a little bit if needed. Is it even worth doing at this flow (4,820 as of today)?

Bwick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2017   #2

bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
last chance to hike out is at clarno rapid,would be a 5 mile hike though, got off the clarno to cottonwood section a couple days ago only saw 2 other groups all week and the water level was awesome

Sent from my SM-G930T using Mountain Buzz mobile app
mtrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017   #3

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
GPS waypoints

I have some home-brewed GPS coordinates for Garmin - river miles, a few , camps, "rapids", and access points. Shoot me a pm with your email if you want them and I can send you a gpx file.
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2017   #4

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrafter View Post
last chance to hike out is at clarno rapid,would be a 5 mile hike though, got off the clarno to cottonwood section a couple days ago only saw 2 other groups all week and the water level was awesome

Sent from my SM-G930T using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Ok, thanks. Probably not worth it with all the kids.
Old 05-23-2017   #5

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Duck View Post
I have some home-brewed GPS coordinates for Garmin - river miles, a few , camps, "rapids", and access points. Shoot me a pm with your email if you want them and I can send you a gpx file.
Thank you! PM sent. I know there's not much for "rapids" which was the plan since we're bringing our 2 year old.
Old 05-23-2017   #6
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Get yo self the John Day River floaters waterproof map book. They usually have them at the Service Creek Store if it is too late to call the BLM and have them mail you one. That will show all.

However, I would highly highly highly (did I say highly) advise to avoid this weekend (memorial day). It will be an extreme zoo with good weather and flows.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017   #7

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
Get yo self the John Day River floaters waterproof map book. They usually have them at the Service Creek Store if it is too late to call the BLM and have them mail you one. That will show all.

However, I would highly highly highly (did I say highly) advise to avoid this weekend (memorial day). It will be an extreme zoo with good weather and flows.
We weren't planning on going through Service Creek since we'll be coming from Boise. Would anyone else have it or is there a pdf copy anywhere?

Any good spots to grab Oregon invasive species tags once we cross the border in Ontario?

I know it's going to be really busy. It's fun to visit the zoo once in a while, right?
Old 05-24-2017   #8

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwick84 View Post
Any good spots to grab Oregon invasive species tags once we cross the border in Ontario?
Bi-Mart or any place that sells fishing and hunting licenses.
Old 05-24-2017   #9

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
Bi-Mart or any place that sells fishing and hunting licenses.
Perfect, there's a Bi-Mart on the way in Ontario. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2017   #10

Seattle, Washington
get yer camp by noon.

I did a memorial day float years ago on this section, and I passed the last open campsite I saw at 1pm. At dusk we camped in the long grass 6" above the water at the only flat place I could stop a boat that we had seen in hours, miles and miles farther than we wanted to go.

Every camp was booked, every potential camp was booked, it was the worst camp hunt I've ever had.

Better yet, launch Sat, go short, lay over sun, takeout Tues. Find the void.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote