Trolling motor for cataract canyon? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-08-2017   #1

Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Trolling motor for cataract canyon?

Rather than dealing with the storage and issues of using a 2 stroke outboard motor, I wanted to see if anyone has ever used an electric motor to motor out of Cataract. I typically run late summer and don't mind the float to Spanish and usually it is only a single boat. Seems like trolling motors are real cheap this time of year. Anyone used one? What type of batteries did you use? Would it be worth it? I've rowed out twice. Looks like it could be an easy help. Thanks.

JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2017   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Since no specific responses to your question so far, I have seen a post in a past thread, from someone that has had some success with a trolling motor, so you may be able to find it with a search. A raft probably has a bit more drag than a Bass boat, but seems like a single boat might be doable with enough battery. I've also heard people having a lack of success, so can't really say.

The other options to avoid the 2 stroke, would be a 4 stroke( required if motoring G.C.)
or a propane model. Both would at least be quieter, and not pollute as bad. There is a fair amount of Beta on Propane outboards in past threads.

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2017   #3

C. Springs, Colorado
If your looking for a cheap Wally World trolling motor....https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-5HP-Out...7lyZ81W5WYeCmE

In case of a flip...I'd rather deal with gas on a boat... instead of acid.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2017   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Over the last 45 years or so I've seen three friends try trolling motors, and I ran one down the Moab daily once for a trial run for Cat. None ever really worked out, although they do help if you dial 'em in and run slow, more as an "aid" to rowing than replacement.
If you run at night when there's no wind, my experience was you can get better results. But for pushing a raft - which has a lot more drag than a canoe or skiff - they're marginal.
You need a deep cell battery - more than one is a good idea if you want to push off below Cat - and some kinda' charging panel would be great (solar was in its infancy back when my 'pards were experimenting). I'd go with the biggest capacity (watts) you can afford, pay attention to the manufacturers rated capacities/run times and charge battery before it's completely flat.
As for cheap... hard to find a good deep cell AGM battery that will last more than 6-8 hours for under $100. But the idea is worth pursuing with the improvements that today's technology offers. Better batteries, more efficient motors, you may find yourself into $500 to put this on the water but if you can use the motor for fishing or anything else that would help the spousal benefit ratio...
I do have a friend who runs solar and battery on his canoe for annual 2 week sojourns to Jackson and loves it. He uses some kind of device that controls the charge and swears by it. But it's a 15' Coleman and he's only out for 4-5 hours at a time.
Good luck and report back!
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017   #5

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
I have pushed a cat down class 2 with a 40lb thrust trolling motor. I used a marine battery for trolling motors. I never ran it on full blast and it lasted about 6 hours. That cat was a 16 footer. It was loaded with three adults and just day trip fishing gear. Poles and a cooler ect.. The river had a drop of 5 feet per mile. Can't say much about on board charging because these were all day trips so I charged it up at night with a standard charger. I did build a fixed rudder that helped the cat track. With out this you have to pay close attention to the tiller!!!
Old 12-14-2017   #6

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
trolling motor

I have a 55 lb trolling motor that I use with my 15.5 foot selfbailing Odyssey. I have a 110 amp hr deep cycle marine battery that weighs ~70 lbs and I get just about 2 hours out of it. I use it on Ruby Horsethief in the wind, or coming out of Westwater in the wind. Been halfheartedly looking for a way to solar recharge it and from everything I've learned, I'd need a huge panel to recharge it overnight.

It is fine for small/short trips, but without multiple batteries, it'd never get you all the way out of Cat.
cataraftbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017   #7

page, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
definitely going to have a hard time charging anything with solar power overnight.....
azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017   #8

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpowell View Post
definitely going to have a hard time charging anything with solar power overnight.....
Just need a BIG panel.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
No, agreed, a "..huge..." panel. And about as effective as the mango shitgibbon...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017   #10

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
That didnít come out right.?...I meant, would need a huge panel to keep it charging at or above the rate it was being consumed....
cataraftbetty is offline   Reply With Quote