Trip Planning in the Time of Covid - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Big things Id do is leave home ready to launch. Food, gear, gas...done. No hotels, restaurants, or going in for a Slurpee refueling,ect. up and back. A Trip to the Moon and back mentality.

Refueling aint rocket science....Hand sanitizer before and after.
been there done that

Other things Id do that are not mentioned is going solo for sleeping arrangements. Everyone in their own smaller tent. Booo for S.O. fun but just be happy to be on the river and all that nonsense.
already do that, no buddies that appeal to me enough to share with
Id also just keep the meals simple and folks just prep and clean their own. A bunch of smaller stoves. Im sure the Better Camps and Gardens crowd will have trouble getting their brain around it but oh well.
brilliant idea

(Just counting down til this thread turns into another shitshow.)
You can be sure it will be turned political soon.

Thanks for the well thought out Suggestions.

OP, great thread idea, could be very useful in planning my next trip.

Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Have to admit I'm over this Summer already. Was supposed to have a GC with my dream team May 22, now not sure if we will get boating at all or maybe just hubby and self on the Lower Salmon later in the season.

Hubby's been working ICU in Central WA where there have been several cases and deaths. He was honestly very relieved when we got the final notice that the Grand was a no go because he could not wrestle with the whole group thing after the last 6+ weeks and the craziness in the hospitals. I have been banished to Idaho for the duration cuz you don't want to live with an ICU nurse taking care of vented COVID+ patients these days and he doesn't want to be responsible for bringing it home. I just don't see doing group trips this year, we are probably out because of hubby's profession. Can we in good faith go on anything like a normal river trip never knowing if he could be carrying it? Testing would be good, an antibody test and knowledge of conferred immunity would be good. But at this point I don't believe we have enough knowledge of this beast to really understand how to protect people, the WHO has said as much re the antibody test.
I want us to come out of this but I will admit to being fearful that opening up too soon could really bite us in our butts. I don't want to see our local/rural hospitals overwhelmed when we get more "rebound" than we bargain for. It sucks for sure.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You can be sure it will be turned political soon.

Not likely, I noted the lack of posts from GeoRon after he flamed out on the covid thread with all the personal attacks and how trump sucked, his avatar now has swimming under it, which as I understand it, means you've been thrown out of the boat, or banned for behavior.

I too am tired of the stay the fuck at home mantra, but if that's what we need to do to save the rest of the boating year, lives and livelihoods, than that's what I'll do.

All of these suggestions are great, in Salida, what we loosely call a hospital has not been overwhelmed, yet, as many of the tourists have been staying away, as they should. unfortunately, many haven't. We're all dreading Memorial Day weekend, and the "hospital" is now gearing up for an increase in COVID cases from that. I personally think we're fucked, but am hoping for the best.

I especially like the multiple stoves idea, I'm a pretty picky eater, from both a health standpoint and taste, prefer low carb, meats and veggies, and always like a hot breakfast when I eat breakfast, so I take a Jetboil stove with me on any trip, along with dehydrated meals and such.

Boaters shouldn't have a problem with handwash, and cleanliness. I'd suggest a copious amount of Clorox antibac wipes, makes sanitizing so much easier. As well, instead of the groover, use resstop bags, single use and no chance of fecal coliform / viruses etc becoming airborne. You can put them over a 5 gallon bucket to sit on, and make or buy a seat (wipe between uses with the wipes) if you so desire. It's not a huge deal in the big scheme of things, and I think it'd go a long way toward helping stay safe.

Praying the rivers open up soon, and the towns open to tourism again, so I can go play. But for now...
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14

Arnold, California
Plan chili dogs for every meal. That should encourage proper distancing.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherpaDave View Post

That would mandate everyone has their own groover as well, I call that two birds with one stone.

Park your thrones at least 6' apart and fire up the brass band, the intro to Dire Straits "Your Last Trick" comes to mind.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
Seems like a whole lot of over thinking. COVID has had very little impact on my trips and planning this year. I never have boated in large groups from out of state. I have no interest in leaving Idaho to try and find "better" water. I don't use shuttle services or hotels. It's always been a mix of the same crew for me. Some people come and others go over time but trips of 6 are large in my world. Trips of 2 or 3 are the norm. There is no way I would not want to be on a trip so complex in planning that you need a PhD to organize against COVID. Just does not seem epic to me. IMHO, if your team is gripped for COVID someone is going to bring personal baggage to the river.....
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Seems like a whole lot of over thinking.
Seems like you are the one overthinking it. I love to meet new folks on the river. You go hang out with whoever you want. I don't care. This thread obviously doesn't apply to you. Still you feel compelled to tell us how wrong we are doing it.

Twenty three people on this trip back in 2015 and it was one of the best ever. Planning was easy too. I have a spreadsheet. It takes a few minutes to set up, but no PhD.
If you don't like cool river people you wouldn't like this trip.

9 from Idaho
6 from Washington 4 met fairly directly thru the Buzz
4 from Colorado two directly from the Buzz
2 from Oregon both directly thru the Buzz
1 from Nevada.

carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Carvedog, I really appreciate the well-thought out post.

Probably should be more concerned about the shuttle than anything else. Seems that sharing a tent or sharing the cab of a vehicle are when you'd be most exposed to a virus coming from the upper respiratory of another human.

I've been on the local river with another boater. We've shuttled together 4 times. Figure if one of us was sick, the other already would be. For us limiting our circle isn't a bad thing. Shuttling with 3 new people every week is asking for trouble until we know more.

Honestly, I'm less concerned about cooking than anything else.

Camped out Friday night, potluck food. If you're prepared for norovirus and following good sanitation procedures, you should be good for COVID.

I really don't know what to make of the whole thing. I was chafing to get on the water and a couple weeks ago said "F-it" and started playing in my back yard. I would be satisfied discovering more of my own county this season until more is known about the virus...but I (clearly wasn't) satisfied sitting at home for the entire season. If I miss the MF and Main trips I was invited on this year, I'll look forward to them next year.

got off the river Saturday and there were 15 boaters all a "healthy distance" apart at the takeout. I didn't realize how much I've missed boating, and really didn't realize how much I have missed hanging out at the takeout and visiting with others. My soul is happy for now.

Still, interesting discussion should this crap turn into the "new normal" and we're still dealing with it in 2021 and 2022 and beyond.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #19

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherpaDave View Post
LMAO thanks,

I am a little depressed, was planning a epic year of rafting. If I sound like a whining, selfish boater, it is because I am. The luck of the draw was great to me this year, the luck of the Irish not so much lately. I could not ever bring myself to violate the various Governors rules of the states I need to pass through or raft in, so I'm hoping Quarantining for 14 days goes away in 14 days.

But you got a good chuckle out of me.

Our new launch safety lecture will have to include, stay safe, looking forward to seeing you all again at the takeout.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #20

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Seems like you are the one overthinking it. I love to meet new folks on the river. You go hang out with whoever you want. I don't care. This thread obviously doesn't apply to you. Still you feel compelled to tell us how wrong we are doing it.

Twenty three people on this trip back in 2015 and it was one of the best ever. Planning was easy too. I have a spreadsheet. It takes a few minutes to set up, but no PhD.
If you don't like cool river people you wouldn't like this trip.

9 from Idaho
6 from Washington 4 met fairly directly thru the Buzz
4 from Colorado two directly from the Buzz
2 from Oregon both directly thru the Buzz
1 from Nevada.

Is that Buck in back row next to the wrestler? I bet that was a fun trip if so.
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote