Transporting rafting gear with a pickup - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-08-2019   #21

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
I do have the crossbars on the thule rack still there, but the frame (nrs longhorn I think ) nests neatly between the crossbars and makes for an easy put in.

jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019   #22

JakeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019   #23

North Hudson, United States
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
Though it would be nice I don't like the look of roof racks or paying to drag them through the air every day when I'd only use one a few times a year. I bought a bike rack and had it extended so I can haul frames on anything with a 2" hitch. So far I've only used it around town, it works really well!
This is a great idea. Simple and effective. Thanks. You've made van life with a high roof fiberglass van with my oar frame 1000x less complicated. I was thinking one of those hitch hauls but never could figure out how to make it work. My Aire Tributary Nine.Five frame fits in the van on the bed. So we usually travel with it locally inside the van. If we self shuttle we make sure it's on the 2nd vehicle at night for sleeping. If we travel far out of town we have to remove the frame at night (hope it isn't stolen or we don't forget it) but this makes it a non factor. Now we can travel with the oar frame with the van solo and not stress over it.

Sent from my VS995 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
MountainVisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019   #24

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainVisions View Post

This is a great idea. Simple and effective. Thanks. You've made van life with a high roof fiberglass van with my oar frame 1000x less complicated. I was thinking one of those hitch hauls but never could figure out how to make it work. My Aire Tributary Nine.Five frame fits in the van on the bed. So we usually travel with it locally inside the van. If we self shuttle we make sure it's on the 2nd vehicle at night for sleeping. If we travel far out of town we have to remove the frame at night (hope it isn't stolen or we don't forget it) but this makes it a non factor. Now we can travel with the oar frame with the van solo and not stress over it.

I'm glad you like it. The way mine is set up you can pop out the extension with hand tools and still use it as a bike rack too.

Happy crafting
Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019   #25

Durango, Colorado
Many people mentioned 6.5' beds in this thread, that's what I have. On my last trip i was wishing no had a longer bed but I was able to fit 2 14' Aires, a river couch, ducky, 2 coolers, 2 dry boxes 6 oar shafts and blades, groover, fire pan and some water jugs in my camper shell. Life jackets, packed dry bags etc ended up taking up my whole back seat. Getting the bed packed what a bit of a Tetris but it all fit and how often are you transporting 2 whole boats and gear in 1 truck?
Old 05-09-2019   #26

North Hudson, United States
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
I'm glad you like it. The way mine is set up you can pop out the extension with hand tools and still use it as a bike rack too.

Happy crafting
Can you explain how you made the extension? And what brand rack it is? I'm pretty sure I'm just going to copy yours. The only thing I can think of that would make it better would be a swing away hitch.

Thanks!

MountainVisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019   #27

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainVisions View Post
Quote:

Happy crafting
Can you explain how you made the extension? And what brand rack it is? I'm pretty sure I'm just going to copy yours. The only thing I can think of that would make it better would be a swing away hitch.

Thanks!

That rack is one of these on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009...b_b_asin_title

The extension is made with one male end and one female end to fit into what's existing total length added is 40", I figured that off the tallest frame of anyone we boat with and the shortest hitch in the fleet. If I had a do over if make it shorter and hang off a crossbar that's isn't one of the ends. I had channel iron added horizontally to keep the frame from twisting into the vehicle and to strap to. I coated the extension in bed liner from a rattle can in hopes of the rubber component would reduce scratching on frames where they rub against the rack.

I've added some pics, sorry for the fuzz, my camera lens was cracked by some clutz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190509_195236166_1557553501904.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	34811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190509_195230427_1557553545769.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	34813  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190509_195226064_1557553556791.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	34815   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190509_195218507_1557553582419.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	34817  

Old 05-11-2019   #28

Boston Mountains, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 2002
I have a Tundra Crewmax,5 1/2 foot bed with Thule xsport? racks. We will put the Bighorn frame on the racks, maybe oars too. 14' NRS raft in the bed with a few weather proof totes and whatever else will fit in there.
Plan now is to get a cargo web/net to cover everything and discourage pilfering. Will probably run a cable lock through and round some gear as well.
Leaving Arkansas headed to SLC then Smith River in Montana for what I hope is an epic fishing trip.
Pulling the trigger on a $2500 topper or a trailer didn't make sense at this point.
PBR62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019   #29

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I would suggest the long bed crew cab and key pad entry for shuttles.
I agree with this but maybe remember a back up key. On my previous F250 the fuse controlling the key pad burned out (probably from a problem elsewhere but never really fully answered). Keys were inside but luckily it was a dirt bike trip and the back up keys were only a few miles down the road at the cabin. Would have been a bummer if it was only option for a Selway shuttle!

Jon
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019   #30

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
The equipment suggestions here are like fishing, everybody has a lure/fly that works for them. I suggest to Not put your frame on top of oars. Oars on top. Cupido76 has a nice set up for a smaller boat than you have, or you could roll the boat, then put frame and oars on top. Toppers are expensive, then on a Tacoma or full size truck you need a ladder and another person to load, otherwise sooner or later you will crash the frame on the truck, as I did. Used trailers can be inexpensive and solve the whole problem. Check the snowmobile sites. I think you will not be happy with a short bed the first time you load it. They are good to carry groceries. Good luck!
DrBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting