Transporting rafting gear with a pickup - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-06-2019   #11

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
A ladder rack is the only way to go. Also a ladder rack is an incredibly handy thing to have for all kinds of rigging and hauling applications. Bonus is that you can take a ladder if you plan to put up new siding on your Mother's house on the same trip!!! 2 rafts? No problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ladderRack.png
Views:	139
Size:	4.97 MB
ID:	34489  

kellywelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019   #12

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Go for a longer bed, if at all possible. I have a6í, and it gets me by, but I usually wish I had more space.

K2, make sure you keep a close eye on that roof rack, Iím sure it will do you well, but I had the exact same one on my truck, till it catastrophically failed, and a sheet of plywood went over two lanes. Iím lucky I didnít kill someone.
I think screws must have backed out on it. Maybe thread lock of some type to prevent it....
Old 05-07-2019   #13

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I will mounting to the shell wasnt my first plan...wanted to make a ladder rack to go around and over the cap. Scratched that because it's so heavy and on the truck 24/7. I put red loctite on the fasteners, figured I'd never need to remove the rails. I dont plan on running much up there...biggest will probably be the 12' cat, they'll just be for short shuttles and such. Frame only up there is over 45mph.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019   #14

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Though it would be nice I don't like the look of roof racks or paying to drag them through the air every day when I'd only use one a few times a year. I bought a bike rack and had it extended so I can haul frames on anything with a 2" hitch. So far I've only used it around town, it works really well!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190419_121356089_HDR_1557244992951.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	34501   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190419_121347878_HDR_1557245029241.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	34503  

Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019   #15

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
I really like the Thule Xsporter Pro.
Expensive, but I think I got the one for my F150 for like $300 from Craigslist four years ago.
I have it so I can put a big ski box on it in the winter, as my 5.5í bed limits me, but I knew that when I bought the truck.
I currently have the bars removed so I only have the lower assembly on.
I have a prior Thule rack system for my diesel long bed. Works just as well in that truck.
Great system, especially for the guy who doesnít need a rack full time.
Beer Waggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019   #16

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
Though it would be nice I don't like the look of roof racks or paying to drag them through the air every day when I'd only use one a few times a year. I bought a bike rack and had it extended so I can haul frames on anything with a 2" hitch. So far I've only used it around town, it works really well!
That's a neat idea, but what's the weight capacity of the rack?
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019   #17

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupido76 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
That's a neat idea, but what's the weight capacity of the rack?
The manufacture rates it for 35# per bike which seems conservative to me. The extension is built out of pretty heavy material, I doubt it derates the capacity. The horizontal bar on there is intended to keep frames from pivoting into your tailgate and give s place to strap cross bars to keep the frame from flopping about. At 225+ pounds I can climb onto the horizontal bar to secure the top hold down and everything feels fine minus the wiggle in the hitch.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019   #18

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
another vote for the 6.5 inch bed, I have a tundra, and often find the bed full. I run the thule xporter on it, but you have to also get the clips for a tacoma to make it work on the tundra bed. I run a tool box most of the time (awesome locking storage) and then I made a cover out of 5/16 ply with a sheet of carbon fiber wetted out with Raka uv stabilized epoxy over arched supports that straps down so folks cannot shop in the bed while I am not there. It is strong enough to stand on, and pretty light, with the bed up and locked it is semi dry too.
jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019   #19

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
oops, had a picture from a weekend hudson expedition
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	view of bed.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	34615  
jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019   #20

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjeff View Post
oops, had a picture from a weekend hudson expedition
Ok, that's really slick!

I didn't understand what you mean about leaving the crossbars off but now I see you're resting the frame members directly on the uprights. So no crossbar to get in the way of loading and unloading.

Very nice!
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting